Author Topic: WoW is dying!  (Read 5024 times)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: WoW is dying!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »
I don't know if WoW is dying, but battle.net sure ain't. If you're tabbing to your web browser to read this while still running WoW, don't log off. At this moment (02-Jan-2015 2:40PM ET) there's a 20-minute wait to login into battle.net, and that's before even getting the chance to select WoW instead of, e.g., Hearthstone.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
You can still login just pick off line, means when you launch wow you have to log in the old way.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
The latest earnings call announced a drop of 2.9 million subscribers to 7.1 million, erasing the expansion bump and putting the game a bit below where it was at this point in Mists.

mmo-champion notes that WoW tokens had not been introduced for this data point.  The overall impact of WoW tokens on the number of "subscribers" and on revenue is likely to be positive, but I couldn't guess as to how much.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4878-WoW-Down-to-7-1-Million-Subscribers
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:53:36 PM by Marco »

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
I can understand the drop-off. I've all but quit pursuing the legendary questline; 4+ more weeks of grinding LFR BRF followed by 8+? weeks in Tanaan leaves me cold. If it wasn't for the self-made goal of getting into the top 15 ranked pet owners on warcraftpets.com on Earthen Ring, I probably would have stopped playing by now.

At this point, if you're not a raider, you spend most of your time in your garrison grinding for gold or apexis crystals or whatever. Maybe Tanaan will open up a whole new exciting world of content. We'll see.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
For those who like to see the WoW subscription numbers in graphic form, regularly updated, there's a chart here:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276601/number-of-world-of-warcraft-subscribers-by-quarter/
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
Down to 5.6 million subscribers at the end of Q2.  That includes any beneficial effect from tokens.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5063-WoW-Down-to-5-6-Million-Subscribers

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
Wow.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »
To put this in perspective, this is the lowest subscriber count since December 2005. The subscriber loss from the six month period from December until now, 4.4mil, matches the loss from February 2011 (beginning of Cata and the highest point of subs at 12mil) until March 2014 (Thunder King patch in MoP).

I'm certainly not going to jump on the "WoW is dying!" bandwagon but seeing the sub count basically divide in half in the course of six months is concerning. I feel that the cons of the expansion have been talked to death in other threads so there's no need to continue that here but, suffice to say, whatever it is that has caused aggravation for players, it's been a lot and enough to make them unsub.

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
Honestly, the graph looks like it's just sort of plateauing out with seasonal fluctuations tied to release dates, with a slight downward trend taking that into account. I feel like it's just age - a ton of people still play, but they're likely getting older, and are tired. Or something. God knows I am tired, holy crap...

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
I'd guess also that WoW is more susceptible to fluctuations from the content releases of other mmos than it used to be. Both GW2 and Final Fantasy 14 will have/had major expansions release right at the midpoint/lowpoint of this expansion. Both of those games have a decent draw on the WoW population.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »
I'd guess also that WoW is more susceptible to fluctuations from the content releases of other mmos than it used to be. Both GW2 and Final Fantasy 14 will have/had major expansions release right at the midpoint/lowpoint of this expansion. Both of those games have a decent draw on the WoW population.

That would suggest that there is a finite pool of MMO players and no new ones are being generated.

I'm thinking that most of  the kids that might have grown up to play MMOs are playing Minecraft instead.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 05:36:38 AM »
I think there's a lot of factors at play: an aging game, changing tastes, tough market competition. Everyone in the forums and on reddit is saying this is due to WoD, but I do not think that is true (even though I have not liked WoD). If you look at the numbers, the current subscription level is only 1.2 million lower than its lowest point on the eve of the pre-expansion patch in MoP. So, if you ignore the bump from the new expansion, the current subscription level seems consistent with the overall data trend since Cata.

But! I am not willing to say that WoD is blameless. MoP managed to maintain roughly stable subscription levels for a year (from Mar 2013 to Mar 2014). Cata suffered a gradual decline in numbers, but its overall drop (from 12 million to 9.1 million) was smaller than the drop WoD has sustained in its seven-month lifetime (unless one discounts the Dec 2014 spike from new subscriptions when WoW was released, at which point Cata's lifetime loss is about 1.4 million higher than WoD's loss between the last two quarters). So I do think WoD did something wrong that ultimately contributed to these losses -- otherwise, I can't see an explanation for WoD's numbers, while, say, MoP was able to maintain generally stable numbers for much of its lifetime. Demographics and peoples' tastes haven't changed so radically in the span of a year as to account for WoD's current numbers.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 05:43:31 AM »
I'm thinking that most of  the kids that might have grown up to play MMOs are playing Minecraft instead.

Speaking as a parent whose kids have watched him play WoW since vanilla I think this is a likely true observation.  My kids used to beg and plead for their own WoW accounts.  Recently we let the elder try a 30-day trial and he was "Meh, I don't want to pay for this".  If someone handed it to them they'd likely play, but they also play Hearthstone and LoL... err, Heroes of the Storm.  The games they want to buy are Call of Duty and GTA and at least the CoD franchise has substantial multiplayer online capabilities, not sure about GTA.  Ten years ago WoW was one of the few places where you could game with a lot of your online friends.  Nowadays that's barely table stakes.  WoW has to simultaneously keep happy a multi-million-strong playerbase and also attract new players to counter the ongoing attrition.  That's freakin' hard.  Witness D&D.

I also think the subscription cost is a big barrier to entry.  Not only are most MMOs now FtP, but most other multi-player experiences are part of what you get when you buy the game.  Blizzard has gotten used to its revenue stream, but it may end up choking on that stream in the end.

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:14 AM »
Yeah - my son stopped having fun playing WoW after he finished leveling. The convoluted, complicated end game that requires lots of communication and coordination (which I would have felt nervous with him doing anyway) was not of interest to him. And I don't see how they'd bridge that gap, from old people like us who bitch ceaselessly die if 90% of the game was leveling to kids who see hitting the cap as the goal. But maybe that helps explain some of the fluctuations.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Witness D&D.

There was no 'attrition' in D&D, there was a revolt, and the revolutionaries went to Pathfinder. But that's a different topic.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester