Author Topic: Durumu  (Read 2329 times)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
Durumu
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
Someone on r/wow made this great .gif about how not to die to Durumu during the Obliterate phase.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Durumu
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
They supposedly hot fixed the maze last night, but I dont recall seeing anything different:

Late in the 5.2 PTR cycle we found that the Durumu smoke effects during the maze phase were causing debilitating performance issues for some users’ computer hardware configurations. We made a fairly last-minute change to the cloud effect that wasn’t quite what we had first planned on using, and as you’re likely aware, made traversing the maze more difficult than we had intended.

Last night we released a fast patch (you can read more on these small client patches here) in addition to a standard hotfix, which both work to improve the readability of the maze visual, as well as make the way the maze appears a bit more intuitive. These changes will be noted in a future hotfix blog update.

It being Tuesday and all, we’re eager to hear how these improvements impact your runs tonight and/or later this week. Let us know in the comments below!

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
They supposedly hot fixed the maze last night, but I dont recall seeing anything different:

Nor did I. It's a weird thing. Sometimes I saw the paths and was like, "Oh, this makes sense now," but then they'd vanish and I'd be like, "Good thing Apert's healing me."

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
We hit Durumu on normal mode tonight.  Some of the less obvious things you might or might not find in a standard guide:

* During the disintegration phase, the outer track is easier to follow, but requires sustained movement.  If you are a very mobile DPS (like a hunter) or a healer, you might prefer the outer track.

* It's important for life drain beams to be pretty long when they start, so that they can be easily cut several times.  Avoid standing close to the boss when you don't have to (and he has a huge hit box, so tanks and melee don't have to stand close just to be attacking him).  Also, if you're targeted for life drain, you have a chance to elongate the beam before it starts ticking.

* Don't stand at the same angle as the current life drain victim, or you risk pulling a force of will onto them and probably killing them.  If you get stunned and someone cuts your beam, move to the side so you're not standing behind them.

Our kill came in at 9:39, very close to the enrage timer, with three healers and double-potting.  Durumu took 334 million damage on our kill, which means he healed for 73 million; those life drains are a big deal.  I don't know if we did particularly good or bad on them.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:47:34 AM »
Are people actually dps'ing during the maze phase?  I'm impressed.

More things: 

If you have a default location for the blue beam, don't drop a lot of eye sores (purple pools) there when you have a choice.  You'll be adding more purple pools during the beam phase.

Healers may want to stand close to the center during the beam phase.  The person steering the red beam may wish to as well, though that increases the danger of overshooting the hidden mob.

We didn't manage to do this, but I think that it would help for life drain victims to call out their beam color (and not just "life drain on me!") if drained during the beam phase.  (And what the heck are we supposed to do if someone in yellow gets life drain?)

On the initial trash, burning the main mob down seemed preferable to running into the cage to kill adds.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »
We got to this guy last night and are ZOMGDIEDIEDIENOW exploding more or less instantly as soon as the colored beams come up.  Help appreciated.  Here is our current plan:

- Red beam target move to a spot where you expect a red add to appear, if at all possible.  All DPS stack in the red beam.
- Yellow beam target move to the opposite side of Durumu from red beam group and wait.  As soon as yellow beam appears, gtfo and join one of the other two groups.
- Blue beam target move to someplace where you're not going to pop out an add and stand still.  Healers group in blue.

We're still exploding horribly in seconds as people take massive damage.  On our best attempt we got 2/3 red adds down and the last one was at about 18% when we blew up.  Our raid comp gives us very few raid-wide cooldowns we can use - we have warrior's shield wall, 2x paladin devo auras, and one disc priest set of shields which we put on the DPS group+tanks.  It can't hit the whole raid unless we group up which we don't have time to do.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
Raid health going from stable to tiny-slivers-of-green in a heartbeat during the light phase are the hallmarks of one (or more) of the fogs being de-illuminated before dying.

You must keep each fog in the beam until its dead; the LFR strat in normal is considered harmful.

EDIT: Or... what marco said, as usual.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:35:20 AM by jsoh »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »
Each beam does divided damage to everyone in it.  If no one is in a beam, it does full damage to everyone in the raid.  Your strategy has no one in the yellow beam, so it's wiping you.

A normal strategy, described at icy-veins, is to put melee and tanks in red, ranged DPS in yellow, and healers in blue, with some shifting around to make sure there are at least three people in each beam (since the people with red and blue are forced to be in those beams, and not in the beam they are ordinarily assigned to).

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 06:20:25 AM »
Each beam does divided damage to everyone in it.  If no one is in a beam, it does full damage to everyone in the raid.  Your strategy has no one in the yellow beam, so it's wiping you.

*facepalm* o i c.  Thank you, I didn't grok that.

Your text makes it appear that the beam target can move out once the beam appears (e.g. red healer moves to blue beam).  I did not think that was true.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
No, I didn't mean to imply that.  I meant that if a ranged DPS gets the red beam, for instance, that person will be in the red beam and not the yellow as they would otherwise be, which will decrease the count of people in the yellow beam.  So you might have to move someone to compensate.

For example, with 3 healers, 2 melee, and 3 ranged, your base distribution is 4 red (tanks + melee), 3 blue, and 3 yellow.  If a ranged DPS gets blue and a healer gets red, your distribution is changed to 5 red (tanks + melee + the healer with the red beam), 3 blue (the other two healers + the DPS who got blue), and 2 yellow.  You'd want to move someone from red to yellow to compensate.

The trick for the raid leader is to pre-calculate when they will have to make the callout, based on current raid distribution, so they can do it quickly.  With the raid comp from above, you could figure on:

* If healers get both red and blue, move one tank to blue to compensate.
* If a ranged gets red or blue, move that tank to yellow instead.
* If ranged get both red and blue, move the other tank to yellow as well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:16:28 AM by Marco »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:40 AM »
I keep forgetting to ask this in private:

The person who gets the yellow beam should run to their assigned color as soon as the beams start moving?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Correct.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »
OK, so again I'm confused. Your clarification to me and your confirmation to Heidi seem to contradict each other.

If I'm melee DPS I would normally be sharing the red beam. But if I'm the yellow target I have to be in that beam and stay in it?  Or do I wait for it to pop up and then go to red, assuming that ranged will fill up the yellow?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
If you get the red or blue beam, you must stay in that beam, because those beams will follow you.  This may force some reassignments to make sure that there are three or more people in each beam.

If you get the yellow beam, you can go anywhere you want after the beam activates, because the yellow beam rotates slowly on its own.  There need to be some people in the yellow beam (ideally at least three), but you don't have to be among them if you have a different assignment.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 05:56:25 AM »
Aha.  TY.  Now let's see if we can manage to get back to Durumumumu this week...