Author Topic: Any tips or suggestions for a noob?  (Read 1615 times)

Crayzfurball

Any tips or suggestions for a noob?
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
So, I'm working on my legendary quest line for Wrathion and have discovered something important.  I really really really suck at PVP.  I've never done it before.

So, tips, help, anything?  Ideal pet?  I was thinking of grabbing my spider out of the stable (I don't use it for raiding) for the web it uses but didn't know if another one would be good too.  What about glyphs?  I have the glyph of mirrored blades which I thought may be nice.

*Off to read up on PVP and/or bribe a group to carry me through this*

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: Any tips or suggestions for a noob?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:28 AM »
I also suck at PVP. My biggest tip for doing these enforced PVP parts to PVE quests is to grab some PVE buddies and stick together. I'm sure you can grab some bored folks in the /deadlycupcakes channel to help you with some of the BG stuff.

And some of us (again, not me) are pretty great at PVP! So having them around will make it less painful.
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »
I posted some notes a while ago here: http://www.deadlycupcakes.org/forums/index.php?topic=2933.0

Short form: queue during the school day if you can, do what you can, and just keep trying until you get nine alliance players who can beat the ten horde players.

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
If your only goal is to make it through the two PVP games for the Wrathion quest line and you never intend to PVP again, the key is to play when the Alliance tends to win more, which is generally during the day on weekdays (I'm not sure why, this is an empirical observation).  If you can't do that, just keep going back and trying, eventually the Alliance will get a weaker Horde group.  It took me 5 tries to get the 2 BG wins I needed, for example, but this was during the early evenings.

I'm certainly not a PVP expert, but my perspective is someone who used to PVP some (arena teams back in season 2-3) and is now strictly PVE.

If you really want to get better at PVP:
1) Read the basic guides on specs and gear; you'll want your second spec to be PVP oriented.  Be prepared to put some money and effort (farming for Honor, for example) into gearing up.

A few crafted pieces plus drops from the Sha will likely form your initial gear set; at first, PVE gear may be better if you're a raider, but you'll have to judge when to swap over to PVP gear.

2) Read up a guide on PVP playstyle; playing against humans is very different than the computer.  A lot of PVP revolves around CC and interrupts.  You're not interested in conserving resources (generally), but piling on (burst damage) and getting someone down.  Be prepared to die a lot.

I would suggest doing regular battlegrounds first, learning how to play your character and the particular BG strategies (e.g. flag capping and defending, or the blind rush that Alterac Valley has degenerated into) while earning Honor points for some gear.  Serious players are into arena and rated BGs and you'll likely get crushed in those if you just throw together an inexperienced team.

You'll also want to figure out your preferred role and play style, which will depend on your class and spec; mages used to be ultra-squishy (less so now), so I tended to do larger BGs (like AV, Baradin Hold, etc) since it was easier to blend into a crowd to stay alive rather than be forced into a one-on-one, which mages tended to not fare well in.  Some specs are better at one-on-one and thus may want smaller groups.

If you want more specific advice, I'm sure someone around here can probably help...

-Andraax

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
So its been ages since I pvp'd as a ranged dps.

However, a couple things:
Be aware of your defensive cooldowns. Be aware of your offensive cooldowns  Use them.  Don't die with smart bombs.  An unused cooldown is a wasted cooldown if you die.

If you are doing a capture the flag type thing, make sure to be fighting close enough to the flag.

Look for enemy healers standing in the back, and do what you can to shut them down.  This may involve killing them, it may involve cc'ing them, silencing them, whatever.   You probably can't kill a geared healer by yourself.  (1:1 fights involving healer:dps are generally a draw in the short term; long term depends on if you can run the healer OOM)

Have bars on.  If you see an enemy whose health is dropping, jump on to it and get him dead quickly.  Healers are annoying effective at saving 'almost dead' enemies.

Use your CC's.  They matter.

If you have a friendly healer near you, and you see a melee get on them, use your CC on them.  The healer is unlikely to be doing things to break the CC.  And grateful healers the save you.

Try to stay with a group.  Often the person off to the side by themself will get picked off first.

If you are defending a spot, and are alone at it, call out if you see any enemies coming.  Also use your stealth.  It doesn't matter if you think you can kill the one attacker - there is probably a stealthed rogue/cat with them; or they might be in full arena gear.  "Incoming mines"  or "Incoming north cart" might just get you the help you need to keep the objective.

Most of all, realize you are going to die.  Repeatedly.  Its not a big deal.  Its expected.  Its not about not dieing -- its about being effective when you are alive.

Crayzfurball

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I had read your post, Marco, and will try during the day.  So far I've tried 5(?) times and we've gotten destroyed each time.  Perhaps I am just unlucky.

I openly admit I need to use more CC.  Will work on that.

I'm running Sha weekly and have gotten two pieces plus bought another from the honor quartermaster.  I'll keep working on that.  I've been trying to kill various rares for practice and for the honor points some give.

To be honest, I have no desire to PVP ever again, at least at this point in life.  If I can find a group to carry me I'll be ecstatic.  But I'm trying to pull my own weight as much as possible.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
Crazyfurball, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and was pwned for wearing it. I feel your pain.

I despise PvP. I had to do it to accomplish some of the Orphan achievements for the mount, and to get enough Honor to buy mounts for the mount achievement. I got through the experience, but knowing that there's a "Wrathion" questline that requires PvP is further discouraging me from getting into the MoP expansion.

My two bits:

- Keep trying. Sometimes things can go in your favor... like when all the Horde players' mothers yell at them to put out the garbage at the same time.

- In the case of the Orphan achievements, sometimes you get generous Horde players; that is, they'll let you plant the flag with your orphan out, in exchange for corpse-camping you. I have no idea if there's any visible sign that you're PvPing for the Wrathion questline. If there is, you've got a better chance.

- In BC and Cata, there were instances that were only available when your faction won a battleground, whose bosses dropped PvP gear. After a while, I found I could pick up some PvP gear when Deadly Cupcakes went on these instance runs and no one wanted the wimpier Warlock items. PvP gear didn't make me suck any less, but I could sometimes survive the extra half-second for my DoTs to work.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Crayzfurball

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
Figured I'd update, I managed to do it today.

I decided to put together a PVP gear set.  Crafted 4 pieces, 2 sha drops then farmed honor and converted justice until I could buy 3 more pieces.  Ended up w/ 2 different set bonuses (4 contender crafted pieces, 4 gladiator honor/dropped pieces) then put gems and enchants on everything.  Queued today during the day and managed to do both (and actually contribute) on the first time each.

Thanks again for the suggestions!  Now to kill Bloodhilt or whatever his name is.  :)