Author Topic: 5.2.x stuff  (Read 13020 times)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
Re: 5.2.x stuff
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2013, 05:17:58 AM »
To be clear, I don't advocate removing LFR either. I was simply commenting that seeing it as an 'obligation' is a common viewpoint, and one that I have held in the past, with all the negative connotations thereof.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Nosleep

• Cerulean Nights Member
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2013, 06:32:52 AM »
I both love and hate LFR...

The good: It's really nice to be able to see the fights in LFR before doing them "for real" in a normal Raid. It helps you learn the mechanics in ways you simply couldn't without causing your raid to wipe repeatedly. A great example of this is the Will of the Emperor fight in MV. Being able to practice the dance in LFR before doing it for real as a tank was extremely helpful.

Another nice thing is the gear upgrades. I know there are other ways to get gear (VP being most notable), but being able to run all of the LFRs, and get 2-3 pieces of gear (or more) in a week is much faster. Sure the VP gear is better, but it takes more than a week to get any particular item from the VP vendor, while it is possible to do a lot of gearing in a week using LFR.

The bad: A lot of times, the groups suck. A lot of people don't want to be there, but feel obligated, so they're impatient, and grumpy. Wiping repeatedly because 40% of the raid has no idea what is going on, and doesn't listen is frustrating (although the same can be said for normal raiding sometimes).

There's also a lot of pressure to get gear from LFR to help your Raid group out. Because it's a decent avenue to get some gear, a lot of people feel obligated to go run it.

Add the fact that there are now _9_ LFRs for people to run, and it's a lot of content, and I could easily see how people can burn out on them.

At this point my Raid is running 2 nights/wk for 2.5 hrs each. Add an optional "catchup" raid for another 2.5 hrs, and I'm already raiding for 7.5 hrs/wk even before we start talking about LFR. If Marco didn't lead the LFR in an organized group that can mostly go in and get it done quickly and relatively painlessly, I probably wouldn't do LFR just from the sheer amount of time required. I honestly don't manage to do the 2 that aren't run on Tuesday, and there are some Tuesdays I just can't motivate myself to show up.

I typically don't think people should be required to run LFR... But, all that said, there have been raiders I've had to ask to go run LFR. When you've been unlucky all tier, and haven't gotten a weapon upgrade, and your DPS is obviously suffering a LOT from it, I don't see any other option. Also, if you're trying to bring a character up to snuff from undergeared, LFR is the easiest and fastest way to do it. It's tough trying to balance not asking folks to do more than they want to, and the need of the raid to have everyone as geared as possible to progress.

I think overall LFR serves a purpose, and I'm mostly glad it's there, but it surely does cause some stress on folks trying to balance a sense of obligation to do their best for their Raid with their own free time, and dealing with the nastiness of some folks in LFR.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
To be clear, I don't advocate removing LFR either. I was simply commenting that seeing it as an 'obligation' is a common viewpoint, and one that I have held in the past, with all the negative connotations thereof.
This is pretty much how I feel. Feeling obligated to run LFR definitely contributed to (but was not the sole reason for) my latest burn out on the game.

I don't think LFR should be removed, but right now you've got so many incentives to run it (502 off-pieces, T15 set bonuses/trinkets, legendary quest items, raid rep) that it was difficult to not feel I needed to run it or I was letting my team down.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:34:13 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
Supposely you can get lesser charms pretty quickly through pet battles by using:

* A level 90 player
* A level 6 pet in the first slot
* Two other pets of level 6 or less

Then you fight level 1 pets in Stormwind which respawn really fast after you one-shot them with the level 6 pet.  This should generate between 1 and 2 lesser charms per minute.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
Mogu Runes of Fate will cost 50 lesser charms after tomorrow's maintenance.  Avoid rushing to buy next week's set before maintenance (which I guess is possible?) since they may still cost 90.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/259288-mogu-rune-of-fate-lesser-charm-change/

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Supposely you can get lesser charms pretty quickly through pet battles by using:

* A level 90 player
* A level 6 pet in the first slot
* Two other pets of level 6 or less

Then you fight level 1 pets in Stormwind which respawn really fast after you one-shot them with the level 6 pet.  This should generate between 1 and 2 lesser charms per minute.

I tested this out briefly and found that the drop rate for lesser charms is under one reward per 10 battles.  The advantage of this method is the ability to do many battles quickly; the pet levels and location do not seem to improve the coin drop rate.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Great, so I only need to grind 120 tonight instead of 160!
o/\o

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Mogu Runes of Fate will cost 50 lesser charms after tomorrow's maintenance.  Avoid rushing to buy next week's set before maintenance (which I guess is possible?) since they may still cost 90.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/259288-mogu-rune-of-fate-lesser-charm-change/

Oh, so my 1693 lesser charms will now last me 33+ weeks instead of 18+ weeks.  Guess I can stop doing dailies for the rest of this expansion... :)

-Andraax

Eointhas

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »
"We’re deploying a hotfix late tonight that will reduce the number of Lesser Charms of Good Fortune required to purchase 3 Mogu Runes of Fate from 90 down to 50. Meaning when you log in Wednesday and purchase your 3 Mogu Runes of Fate, which are used for 5.2 raid boss bonus rolls, it will only cost you 50 Lesser Charms.

We recommend waiting until after the scheduled Wednesday maintenance to ensure this change has gone through before purchasing your Runes. "

from blue post

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »

Oh, so my 1693 lesser charms will now last me 33+ weeks instead of 18+ weeks.  Guess I can stop doing dailies for the rest of this expansion... :)

-Andraax

That is until the bring out the next lot of charms that is. I'm guessing a new tier of raid with have a new charm at say 90. They reduced this lot so the increase for the next lot would not make the newones rather pricey?
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
You can get 3 for 50 today.

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

That is until the bring out the next lot of charms that is. I'm guessing a new tier of raid with have a new charm at say 90. They reduced this lot so the increase for the next lot would not make the newones rather pricey?

Maybe, but I think that part of the motivation is that people have been complaining that doing dailies is feeling too mandatory so this will reduce the level of effort needed each week and may not necessarily be increased in future currencies.

-Andraax

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
According to a Cory Stockton tweet 40 minutes ago, pet battles under level 5 had their lesser charm drop rate reduced.  Not sure when it happened; the technique was apparently pretty streaky to begin with, making it hard to tell whether you had bad luck or whether you were doing it post-nerf.

https://twitter.com/mumper/status/328714471377870849

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
Maybe this is why last night's kill went so flawlessly:

4/30/13 hotfix-
Throne of Thunder
Lei Shen
-Lei Shen's hitpoints have been reduced by 10% on Raid Finder difficulty.
-Static Shock from the North Conduit now deals 300,000 damage at 0 energy, down from 650,000 on Raid Finder difficulty.

Couldn't have been our raw skill.
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
I saw that after we finished.  It certainly lowers the risk of static shock death during transitions, and makes it a bit easier to get to the transitions without overloading conduits.