Author Topic: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain  (Read 86236 times)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain
« Reply #600 on: May 05, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I'm preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure that Shattered Moon doesn't have the Gold Challenge mode cheevo.

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #601 on: May 05, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
I do need a horde guild with the guild page (have the guild herald on my horde guild on Farstriders). If anyone can invite an alt to one, that would be fantastic.

Are the Gryphon Hatchling and Wind Rider Pup (they came with the plushies) still available? I do not see them on the Blizzard store or gear store.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #602 on: May 05, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
I believe I joined Pet Peeves on Madoran to get the Guild page. Andius can confirm (or refute).

The plushie pets are no longer sold by Blizzard, but you can still get them (with unscratched cards) at prices that are only screamingly low by pet-collector standards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HBGCZL8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00H5BTDSM
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »
I believe I joined Pet Peeves on Madoran to get the Guild page. Andius can confirm (or refute).

The plushie pets are no longer sold by Blizzard, but you can still get them (with unscratched cards) at prices that are only screamingly low by pet-collector standards:

Pet Peeves does have the Guild Page pet, I have an alt in the guild I think I may be able to invite.
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Pet Peeves does have the Guild Page pet, I have an alt in the guild I think I may be able to invite.
As it happens, I do have a horde toon - Jenilea - on Madoran from the Panderia guild pet thing. If you do have invite, let me know when you could invite me. My battletag is Jenilea#1822.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #605 on: May 05, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »

Hmmm - those are pretty expensive for a pet, especially since I cannot pay with Blizz Bucks. :)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #606 on: May 05, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
As it happens, I do have a horde toon - Jenilea - on Madoran from the Panderia guild pet thing. If you do have invite, let me know when you could invite me. My battletag is Jenilea#1822.

I should be able to get on when you want, just say when. While the weather is nice I'm spending more time outside doing Gardening rather than playing WoW :)
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »

Hmmm - those are pretty expensive for a pet, especially since I cannot pay with Blizz Bucks. :)

If you get into competitive pet collecting, $60-$70 for a pet will begin to seem reasonable. That's what it costs to get a Blizzcon pet for a convention that you otherwise have no interest in.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »
If you get into competitive pet collecting, $60-$70 for a pet will begin to seem reasonable. That's what it costs to get a Blizzcon pet for a convention that you otherwise have no interest in.
With tokens, Blizzcon does not cost me any real money - just wow gold. I cannot same the same for buying pet via Amazon. :(

Without the early collector's edition pets and early Blizzcon pets, I do not think I fall into the competitive pet collector category. :)

Andius, thank you for arranging the invite to Pet Peeves. Took about 3 hours to get to Honored guild rep and buy the Guild Page.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #609 on: May 20, 2018, 08:04:47 AM »
It's done. After months of PvP world quests, Grotar finally reached Prestige 7. I've gotten the Dutiful Gruntling and Dutiful Squire.

Overall, this was definitely the longest grind that I've ever done for pets. It wasn't the worst by far; that honor belongs to the PvP Pet Battle grind.

I imagine that everyone in this group who's contemplated this grind either has already done it or is on their way. But just in case someone else wants to try it, here are my notes:

- I didn't participate in any Battleground or Arenas, since as I've noted before they're just a frustrating exercise for me. The time it takes isn't compensated by the meager amount of honor you get from losing a battle. (Winning a PvP battle? It's like climbing Mount Everest: I hear some people do it, but I never have.)

- When I first started with the Tower PvP dailies, they could be annoying because of griefing by PCs of the opposing faction. That's over now. From the time I took Grotar from Prestige 1 to Prestige 7, I didn't experience a single griefing episode at a Tower.

- The Towers were also hard at the start because I hadn't spent much time improving Grotar's gear. But once you get past ilvl 880 or so, they become soloable; with ilvl 910+ gear from Argus, they become trivial. (Since I don't do instances, the highest gear level I could get on Grotar was ilvl 928; more than sufficient.)

- The FFA world quests also became easier. I mostly insta-completed them using the Warrior's Order Hall ability. I also sped things up as I learned which ones were worthwhile doing: The Black Rook one in Val'sharah is easy; just join a group, get in one blow to everyone you see, then wait to be killed. The Stormheim one (defeat animals and optionally use them as mounts) goes very quickly when you've got flying and good gear, so at this point even for potential griefers it's faster just to defeat 20 critters than to battle other PCs. Murloc Freedom (in Aszuna) had more PvP interaction, because it was all too easy for a party to take down every available Murloc; you're left twiddling their fingers for them to respawn and the temptation to go after other PCs is strong. The Darkbrul Arena in Highmountain I generally avoided; apart from more PvP interaction than I cared to handle, it's just too hard to get to.

There were some side benefits to the grind. The rewards from the PvP world quests helped to push the levels of both Grotar's Protection and Arms artifacts to 75. I also got some practice both with a Warrior's Protection and Arms specs, which might be useful in the future (subject to the usual changes in coming expansions).

At some point, I noticed that I'd gotten about 150 Marks of Honor from these PvP quests just sitting in my inventory. What what I supposed to do with them? I only discovered the answer about a month ago: transmog. Grotar still has about 100 Marks, even after I purchased all the old PvP sets I wanted.

So I'm not quite done with PvP. There are a couple more outfits I want to get for some of my other toons. In particular, I check in daily to see which PvP world quests give Marks as an award, and let Winston and Winella insta-complete them. One more PvP quest award, and I'll be done.

Druids don't have an insta-complete, so I had to level her up enough so she could handle the PvP world quests to get the transmog gear I wanted for her. Along the way, I rediscovered Ghoselle's Law: Playing a Druid is the coolest thing ever. I might make her my main for BfA.

Next up: Tackling Master Pakku in the Brawler's Guild. We'll see if I can overcome the clumsies.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:58:55 AM by Winston »
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #610 on: May 20, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
Marks of Honor are BoA, so you can acquire them on your warlock with insta-completes and then send them to your druid if you want.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #611 on: May 20, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks, Marco! I hadn't noticed that. I've just finished purchasing the last of the PvP transmog ensembles that I'm interested in. This marks the wrap-up of my PvP with this expansion.

Please, Blizzard, no PvP pets for BfA! Pretty please?
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
You may be in luck, since they don't plan to add to the prestige system and the conquest system doesn't seem amenable to pet rewards.  wowhead had a post just a few days ago about what's currently in the data for new pets; aside from the ones for having 800 and 1000 unique pets and the one which costs 100K gold from a vendor, everything with a known source looks pretty easy to obtain so far.  Pet collectors will of course already have 800 unique pets, and may not have much trouble getting to 1000 with the BfA additions.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=284461/battle-for-azeroth-26624-battle-pet-content-updates

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
The only one that looks problematic is the one that requires 400 toys, since I never made toy collection a priority. I've only got 116. It may be time to start hitting the toy-collection websites.
Bill Seligman

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #614 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:50 AM »
For a meta-achievement like Glory of the Tomb Raider, if I get half the individual achievements on one character and the rest on another, does that count as getting the meta? Or do they all have to be done on the same toon or faction?
Bill Seligman