Author Topic: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain  (Read 19646 times)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
Andy and I got our Silithid Hatchling! FINALLY!
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 100) Eep (Ma 92) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 98) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36)

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
Andy and I got our Silithid Hatchling! FINALLY!

Yes! I didn't know that was your hunter. But thanks for announcing it. I got an uncommon hatchling, but I was more excited to just *get* one. :D

All that's left is that Silithus Guardian pet thingy in the summer for my Zookeeper achievement. Woohoo!

I'm kinda stuck on my tamer achievement. That orc in the Dragonblight has three pets that are kicking my ass (2 undead, 1 dragon). The 2 undead revive and just beat the crap out of my pets.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
I'm kinda stuck on my tamer achievement. That orc in the Dragonblight has three pets that are kicking my ass (2 undead, 1 dragon). The 2 undead revive and just beat the crap out of my pets.

Yeah, he was tough, especially with the death grip on the hand too.  I think I got a lot of mileage out of having dots, like the fire shield on my phoenix and my flame thrower on my Spirit of Competition, it meant that after they self rezed, the dots would take them back down again.   I had more trouble with the one in the crystal forest, though.   I though the orc had two dragon, one undead.   I've been finding that I have to strategically sacrifice things sometimes.    I have 1 mechanical who has a self rez and it's useful to take super powerful hits or insta-kills.  The meta for northrend is a pain too because he has a bear who can hibernate back to full and a mechanopeep that can almost one shot you if you don't have a pet that mechanical attacks are  weak against.   The cata trainers are actually much easier so far than the wrath ones were.

I'm being a little sad that I can see the end of pet battle content, so I'm trying to ration what I have left.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:12:31 AM by Cree »
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 100) Eep (Ma 92) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 98) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36)

Andy

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »
5.1 is out, so I started hunting the pets for Raiding with Leashes.

Disclaimer: I'm a (currently) ilvl470 Hunter with a long personal history of soloing encounters (mainly as a paladin, but still).

It's certainly doable, but some of the encounter mechanics require a pet if not another person.

Molten Core
- Magmadar, Sulfurion, Golemagg
= You won't need another, but you'll still need to clear Lucifron and the core hound packs for Mags. Otherwise, you can skip all the trash. Just be mindful that that Core Hounds have an annoyingly large aggro radius, even at 60-61.

Blackwing Lair
- Razorgore, Broodlord, Chromaggus
= Easy way: bring someone to help with Razorgore's encounter.
= Very hard way: I was able to solo it, but it took about a half dozen tries. The secret from WoWHead is to drop control of Razorgore as much as you can to draw adds to you. I then aoe'd the ones on me, killed those that were fighting Razorgore, and then ran around the room. Before I re-used the orb, I dropped a fire and snake trap to passively kill adds while I MC'd Razorgore. It was doable, but I only make it by 2-4% less on Razorgore. Not fun.
The rest was easy for me as a hunter. The suppression room was just like watching the beach running scene from Chariots of Fire.

AQ40
- Prophet, Viscidus, Twin Emps
= Prophet was a fast burn and using my human racial to get out of the MC. If you don't have a pet, you should be fine as well. Kill the mirror images.
= Viscidus was tricky. I looked it up on WoWhead and they recommended (for hunters) the Brunnhildeararaserasdar Bow from those giant icy amazon women in Storm Peaks since it does a tiny amount of frost damage. That's all you need to get the him to start freezing up and then shatter. Basically I just used Barrage once he was frozen and anything with a instant shot capability. He died and I really don't know why he didn't explode, but I'm ok with that. Otherwise, anything that does frost damage will do and those women have the other ice weapons as well. (Note: you need to have done the quest to make them friendly to you, but the weapons can be mailed to others.)
= Twin Emps is very doable as you can outdps their heal; just kill the one that is vulnerable to you. HOWEVER, be sure to clear the guardians in the previous room or you will spend time and energy killing those bozos in the midst of the encounter.

Naxx
= Loatheb, Maexxna, Gluth
= Loatheb and the Plague Wing are kinda hilarious. Burn down Noth and Helgen (yes, doing the safety dance is still good to save on healing). I did Loatheb without spores for the fun of it, but I imagine it would be much much faster if I took the buff.
= Maexxna is tricky without a pet or other person due to the web wrap. You will need someone to break you out of it. Otherwise, killing Anub and that crazy frenzy chick are trivial.
= Gluth worked for me since I could kite the adds onto me, but it turned into a burn down fest shortly afterwards to prevent him from devouring those zombies. I just let the adds beat on me while I DPS'd Gluth, but you have to be mindful of their stacking debuff. Be sure to clear all the aboms and slimes before aggroing Patchwerk since they will add. Globbius's poison and debuffs still require you to move, but the damage is not scary at all.

Hope this helps. I got *very* lucky and got all my BWL pets in my first go as well as Gluth's bone.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:31:47 AM by Andy »

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 06:10:24 AM »
Maexenna was easy for me, she breaks me out of the webs by damaging it. I could not get Glueth down. I tried several things, but I am unable to kill the adds before it eats them and I cannot out damage the heals.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
Gluth was easy for me.  I tried kiting him from the spawn spot, but it might just be my DPS.  I had a bit of trouble on patchwerk and had to do him in bear.

No clue how I'll do the slime in A'Q.

Andy

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
Gluth was easy for me.  I tried kiting him from the spawn spot, but it might just be my DPS.  I had a bit of trouble on patchwerk and had to do him in bear.

No clue how I'll do the slime in A'Q.

My guess is using the Brunnhildar Harpoon http://www.wowhead.com/item=43600, also obtainable from the giant blue women of the Storm Peaks.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
The wowhead comments I read suggested using a weapon enchanted with Elemental Force.  Haven't tried it, though.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:36:52 AM »
JUst looked up Viscidus

Update 5.1 patch(inc 29th of November hotfix)
-He gets frozen after 20 frost hits, down from 200.
-To shatter him while frozen, you now need to hit him 30 times within 30 seconds, down from 75 hits within 15 seconds.
They are obviously letting people solo him now to farm for the new pet drop.

Looks like the 30 hits could still be tricky for some classes.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 102),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 103)

Andy

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
For hunters running BWL for pets: spec into Exhilaration when you are doing Razorgore. When you use it, it will heal Razorgore for 30% as it breaks the mind control on him. Use Readiness as needed.

Although, last night the encounter was noticeably easier. I'm not sure if they fiddled with something in a hotfix, but it was not the hot mess it was last week. I got the eggs down before he even got to 90% health and I only dipped down to 60-70% health.

ALSO: the pet drops are soulbound, but you can cage them up and send them to people or post them on the AH. Not sure why they did it this way, but whatever.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
Battle stones are being obnoxiously rare.  The family only ones are soulbound.  I've seen one stone since 5.1.

The pandaren spirits are a bit tricky. You really need to match the families well to win.   So far I haven't gotten any pet beyond the one form the initial quest.

The darkmoon faire guy isn't so bad (not easy though) and I haven't seen the pet form it either, but you get 5 tickets for defeating him, which, if you haven't bought the faire pets yet, is a nice consolation prise.

I've also realized the pandaren spirits match the temples, which I think is kind of a cool piece of world detail.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »
If you go back and fight a trainer you have done already, daily dealy, can you get a bag? Cause I fought one again and got nothing.

Andy

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
If you go back and fight a trainer you have done already, daily dealy, can you get a bag? Cause I fought one again and got nothing.

You have to fight the grand master for that continent to get a bag. The ones on Winterspring and Deadwind Pass are relatively easy to get to with the Hyjal and Blasted Lands portals, respectively.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
wowhead says the drop rate for the darkmoon eye is 2%, so if you can only do it once a day, during the fair, then the expected number of months before you get an eye is 7.  yeek.   And that's just the expected.    No wonder it's rarer than the rabbit.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
I'm down to needing only one pet for raiding with leashes, so Celsia and I took some alts to do another try at BWL.  Needless to say it was much harder without a well geared 90 druid, but the really funny thing was since fighting Chromagnus took much longer, I got all 4 debuffs and went and killed my elemental and Celsia's alt, then had to sit there for 5 minutes until it wore off, because I was still mind controlled, so I couldn't move or hearth.   Then it wore off while she was running back and then I soloed Chromagnus, because he pulled as soon as the MC wore off.

Next time, if we take those alts, we'll get some sand on the way in.

I still need Chrominius.