Author Topic: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain  (Read 68657 times)

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
First, hi to everyone. Been awhile.

Second, I thought pet battles were novel and cute. And then I started doing pet battles.

Big mistake.

It's addictive. You take your fancy rare pets and have them munch on other pets. You may have always suspected that the Clockwork Gnome was a closeted psychopath in the Chucky tradition. Now I can confirm it as it marches through the land, blasting pets to bits over time. The Onyxian whelp reigns death from high above, including a tail whip that makes some voice in my head replay that line from the legendary Onyxia encounter video "and stay the FUCK away from the tail". And Peddlefoot is a ruthless sniper, capable of filling things full of arrows till they weep.

My hunter is stuck at 89 as she slowly flies circles over the zones of Azeroth in search for pets to kill and claim.

Then I found out that you can 'streamline' the tamer fighting process by sacrificing lower level pets to capture other higher level pets, thus making it faster to acquire higher levels. Basically, you have two choices: you can level a brood of pets (time consuming but stable) or you can try to grab higher level pets and move up quickly (slightly less time consuming but very risk rewarding).

Anyone else been trying their hand at this? I have lvl 15 pets, working on getting lvl 17s next.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Pet Battles Have Eaten My Brain
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
I have been "dabbling." My fighting team pets are level 20-22.  I like the collecting more than that battles, but the weather dependant pets are currently making me annoyed as I camp them.

I have a minfernal, though, so my camping is not for naught.

Some of the achievements are a little bugged too.   I'm almost to the point of being able to capture pandarian pets.   The trainers are little harder. I'm only half way through the outland trainers.
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Draeven

• Boomcop Posse Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
I have really just started with Pet Battles, but I am really enjoying it. I am interested in collecting them mostly but I am amused by my pet fighting. Especially do see my sporebat savagely whirlwinding and poisoning things. I always thought they were so passive!
Arcane Mage - Tailor/Herbalist

bleunienn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
I am still dabbling -- and by dabbling I mean my highest level pets are level 10. 

I am very much in love with my Wolpertinger (codename:  Bun Tzu) and my Dark Whelpling.  The whelpling has a shadowflame ability, just like Neffie, though smaller and more adorable.

I have had zero success with PvP pet battles so far -- has anyone found a good guide to pet PvP, or have any words of wisdom about team makeup?

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
I haven't tried PvP at all.

My line up is a mechanical squirrel (who sorely needs the upgrades coming in 5.1), a phoenix hatchling and a spirit of competition, which I plan to replace with a cloud serpent once I can catch them.   The self heals have been really nice, though I'm super jealous of pets with party wide heals.  I also find the mechanical's self rez super nail biting, but in a good way.

I must say the cockroach ability, apocalypse is so far the funniest.  "A meteor is falling from the twisting nether. When it lands all active pets will die. Unless they are cockroaches."
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Hotspur

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00:31 AM »
I have 3 25s, and 3 24s, with a bunch of 22s from capturing.  Snagged a Scourged Whelpling a while back, too.

I actually forced myself to stop capturing and leveling pets so I could level actual characters, and get guild achievements.

That said, Black Tabby for life.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:00:12 AM »
The scourged Whelpling wasn't that hard for me.  The Artic fox kit, baby ape and silithid hatchlings are the ones driving me nuts.  The silithid hatchling is particular because the weather was up, but none of the spawns were.

Andy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
I swapped back to leveling pets so that I could use the pets I wanted, not the ones I found. I'm hovering just under 20 right now and have moved on to leveling in Outlands. I think if I have power and internet during the hurricane I'll be working my way through all of the Azeroth zones and capturing pets I don't have yet. The Pet Journal addon is good for showing where things spawn (or drop, like the dragon whelplings), but sometimes you have to double check Wowhead on the finer points. I'm glad I still have a Horde toon so that I could grab the Kalimdor taming quests as well as the city battle achievements.

For people looking for the Tamer achievement, there are seasonal pets to be on the lookout for (as in, they only appear during summer or winter).

Hotspur, I too had to stop my pet battles so that I could finish leveling my hunter to 90. Pet battles are what I do between queueing for heroics.

In checking the AH, there doesn't seem to be much of a market yet for battle pets. The highest level I saw was 5 (Peanut) and was selling for 1.5k.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
You know who loves pet battles?  Brynn.  Brynn tell us all about your pet battling adventures.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Be warned the achievement displays are a little broken.   I hope they fix this in 5.1.

Still waiting for my arctic fox kit and that other one in Taranis.

Andy

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
Be warned the achievement displays are a little broken.   I hope they fix this in 5.1.

Still waiting for my arctic fox kit and that other one in Taranis.

I have characters staking out various spots: baby ape, silithid hatchling, minfernal, and snowy owl. From what I'm reading the snowy owl will come around in December, but can't confirm it. The others are just terrible for spawns. I got lucky and found a scourged hatchling on my third pass in Icecrown.

Yeah, the achievements are bugged as hell, but a simple search in et journal reminds me if I found one or not.

Andy

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
I'm now 3 pets away from Zookeeper: the Silithid Hatchling (stupid sandstorms), Snowy Owl (stupid Blizzard being hazy about when winter starts), and the Qiraji Guardling (stupid summer). I managed to snag a minfernal after Tuesday's server reset and beat the RNG for logging into a rain storm in Cape STV.

More Battle Pets in 5.1. From WoWhead:

5.1 PTR: New Battle Pets
Some pet classes were rare out in the wild, notably Dragonkin and Mechanical wild battle pets. This latest patch introduced several wild battle pets that should give pet tamers more options when completing achievements. We couldn't find any on the PTR yet, but they show up in the Pet Journal. Cory Stockton tweeted last night: "Some fun new pets added to fill in the family gaps. 3 humanoid, 3 dragonkin, 2 magic and 3 mechanical. Should be catchable in the next push!"

The 12 new pets for Raiding with Leashes however were added to boss tables. We have a list below and were able to farm up Blazing Rune this morning! It also seems like there's 13 pets total, so maybe one is a reward for completing the achievement. They are not a 100% droprate, but appear to be BoE.

The achievement is called Raiding with Leashes. 12 pets in total, 3 each from MC, BWL, AQ40, and Naxxramas. Molten Core is very soloable as is AQ40, Naxx is possibly soloable since you don't have to go down the Military wing (but still have to deal with Gluth), while BWL will probably need 1 or 2 people just for the mechanics of Razorgore and possibly the Suppression Room.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:01 AM »
I just got my Snowy Owl so it's officially "winter."

Andy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
I just got my Snowy Owl so it's officially "winter."

Where in Winterspring?

Edit: I had camped out where the Winterspring Owls spawn and found one on my second login to the area. I didn't check all of WSP but I only saw one spawn.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:05:55 PM by Andy »

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:28:58 AM »
What I read is they're mostly all over.  I flew around for a bit and found one.