Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - Who's Planning to Play?  (Read 6369 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: Guild Wars 2 - Who's Planning to Play?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
This is an ok overview of the differences between WoW and GW2 for anyone who is curious, the creator of the video doesn't quite manage to stay neutral but but it is fairly informative:

http://youtu.be/Mgz4wa9VN6k

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
Yeah just a WEE bit on the biased side.  I'm still planning to buy it when it goes cheap.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
Some folks I know from work are gonna play on Henge of Venrlasfioj

Henge of something. 

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
All the Dissonance folks will be on Maguuma
It's worth noting that they're leaving server moves free for a while so there's still some flexibility.

I'll change the first page of this post to general info about server and launch later tonite.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:30:45 PM by Wren »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 04:47:57 AM »
Friends of mine were saying that Tarnished Coast was the "unofficial RP server" in the sense that ER is an "RP" server - less lulz more full sentences.  Truth?

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 06:10:10 AM »
Tarnished Coast is where a bunch of RP guilds have coordinated where they're going to go. Yep. Everyone is currently a bit hazy as to what the server population caps are going to be so it may or may not be easy to roll where large communities are targeting. I have a link somewhere with an overview.

I also know that Fort Aspenwood is the Penny Arcade chosen server.

Really in my experience in all the betas and stress tests I didn't see a huge difference between the rp server and non-rp server. The only time I noticed a real difference was when I accidentally landed on the server the 9gag community had chosen, then I ran away.

Generally if you don't already have a tie to a community, what will drive your choice is WvWvW pvp as that is really the only thing that is server specific.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:44 AM »
Here we go, this is the most up to date list I think of known chosen servers:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/srmfg/homeworlds_of_various_online_communities_for/

it's hard to sort through since some of the lists were just added or changed around throughout the beta weekends, but I think this gives a general idea
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:23:27 AM by Wren »

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Well I dove in and pre-purchased this last night and got it installed.  You'll see me running around Saturday morning crying my eyes out because my good video card is not back from being RMA'd yet :(

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
I should start a contact list so people can find each other..yes. I shall do this *zips off to another post*

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 04:58:28 AM »
*comes up for air* woo. That was a good headstart weekend. There were some issues but Arenanet has been steadily chewing threw them and posting updates which is always nice to see. Understandably the biggest batch dealt with login issues which I was lucky enough not to run into (sorry Ungrimmar!) but overall really one of the smoothest launches I've seen, it'll be interesting to see how hard they get hit in the second round with the official launch day.

I've had a lot of fun, I spent probably close to 2 hours working on a jumping puzzle I discovered in the starting zone. It was frustrating but sort of amazing to discover (it's not marked on the map in any way, you just sort of discover it)  video if you're interested: http://youtu.be/xBMFAfWIj5M

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »
Sorry I have not tried to look for any Cupcakers in game yet. I am trying to figure out what class I want to focus on. I got my Asura Warrior (Ghearebox) to 10, and my Human Mesmer (Keare) to 8. Right now I am leaning heavily towards Mesmer, but I want to try out Staff and Greatsword weapon abilities first. For now the Sword / Gun combo is working out to be my favorite, but the Greatsword abilities remind me of the Moon Sword from Dark Souls.

Anyways, my initial impressions of the game is that it is very overwhelming. The world is HUGE and every environment bombards me with details. There is also so much to do between finding Points of Interest, Viewpoints, Crafting, seemingly endless Dynamic Events, Skill Challenges, Area Quests, and Person Story Quests. That being said, its a very bright and colorful game. I'm actually a little disappointed everything is so happy, cheerful, and positive. Nothing is dirty, grimy, or dark that I've seen so far. Thus far it feels very PG. I might try to get into the PvP tonight after doing some more research on Mesmer and what sort of builds work well together.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 06:38:31 AM »
I really liked greatsword for mesmer when I played it in beta, it's great when you don't want to be in the thick of things. I'm leveling up a guardian as my main but mesmer is awfully fun so I'll probably pick that up next.

If you decide you need a guild chat you're welcome to hit me up for an invite!

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
Once I was able to login around 6pm Saturday, I never had another hiccup of any sort through the rest of the weekend.  I've been enjoying the weapon/skill dynamic and figuring out combos.  I finished the starting zone last night (100% woot!) I guess I'll have to go back and try the jumping game in the Norn starting zone, I found it but had no idea what it was at the time and nothing ever sent me back to it afterwards.  Overall it was very enjoyable and I'll be starting my REVIVAL! this week to get a feel for a non-melee class.  

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
One interesting note...nearly every single name Character Name has been taken. Its amazing. I sat through a good while trying to pick a name or variation of a name in order to get something that looked decent. I think I might just bite the bullet and put a Surname on every character or a Title of sorts.