Author Topic: E3 2012  (Read 1832 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
E3 2012
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
Not the most exciting show this year, but that's becoming a bit of a trend.  We start to expect huge hardware announcements from the big guys, especially with next-gen looming.  However they've started to migrate from using E3 to make big hardware announcements where they will get drowned out by the mass of other headlines, and choosing to unveil new hardware when they are guaranteed to dominate the gaming news that day.  Result?  MSFT and Sony gave some pretty boring presentations this year.  High (Or low) point?  The MSFT conference has this huge buildup like they are going to announce some amazing game.  ....it's a Nike fitness game.  Nintendo seems to still use E3 for a lot of their big hardware reveals though and as a result, amongst hardware guys I think they had the most interesting stuff to show off.  However Ubisoft had a pretty awesome show as well with their outta nowhere game Watch_Dogs.  Anyway, here are the bullet points I got so far.

- Watch_Dogs looks amazing.  Technospy/hacker theme AND it's based in Chicago.  (Seriously.  You know what city I never want to see in a game again?  New York, LA or San Fran.  Those places have been done to death)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44E7VOLdrQU

- Lego City Undercover looks way better than it has any business looking.  The Lego games honestly do kid games right by making them good games first and having it appeal to kids.  It also has a few neat uses of the wierdass Wii U controller.  http://kotaku.com/5915900/man-lego-city-undercover-looks-pretty-hilarious

- Naughty Dog knows how to make a cinematic game.  This trailer speaks for itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYkj0glnqs

...that's really it so far.  Watch_Dogs came outta nowhere to blow me away though, crazy excited for that game.  (Also the prospect of actually being able to navigate an open world city because I've spent a lot of time in that city is a cool aspect.) 

A larger note for E3 as I think is that games like Borderlands/Diablo/MMO's don't make good announcement or showy candidates.  Games with very cinematic experiences do.  They show well on a big screen with no explanation and you don't need any interface to explain what's going on.  They're closer to movie experiences whereas things like Borderlands don't show quite as well.  The fun of that game lies in the nuances of mechanics that don't translate to a big screen presentation as well.  Those happen to be games I really enjoy, so they take a back seat to things like Watch_dogs and The Last of Us.  (Though I think Watch_dogs did a good job of balancing a cinematic showing alongside potentially interesting gameplay ideas and choices)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: E3 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Are you kidding? People were totally stoked for the SWTOR presentation I saw a clip of. They were literally golfclapping for 10seconds!!!   
/sarcasm

But yeah, I haven't really heard any super buzz about anything work its way through the vines yet.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:27 AM »
i heard Criterion is working on a new need for speed (most wanted) that seemed to get the crowds attention. as well as Watch dogs which seemed kinda bad ass as kharv pointed out. And lastly Quantic finally unveiled there next game called Beyond. If anyone saw the kara tech video done by them a few months ago, it was awesome. But its like heavy rain just a lot better supposedly.

OOohh theres also a new Splinter Cell. Tho it seems more shooty then stealth but supposedly you can do either. That is not even the half of it, the voice actor for the main character will NOT be Michale Ironside who's done every voice for the MC in ever splinter cell game. For the record, the MC of the new splinter cell is the same character it has always been, not some new character. The Devs have already released a letter to fans explaining it after the instant outcry.... lol
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:56:57 AM by Razov »
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »
I'm not as stoked for watch_dogs as you guys seem to be. It looks like an AC-type game with bad cover-shooting, but I guess it's cool that you kind of "play" as the entire organization. Am I missing something?
o/\o

Kharvek

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
Check out the other trailers.  The spy theme and tools are pretty fun.  The part where he messes with the stoplights to create an accident is pretty cool.  If there's ambient world stuff that makes that stuff fun and attractive to use, it'll be cool.

Second is just the visuals.  Lots of high details, complicated models in a very dense space.  They've said this is for next-gen hardware so they've got way, way, way more memory to play with than the current generation.  (Xbox 360 has 512MB of ram, and the PS3 has two blocks of 256MB of RAM)  This memory will let them do some really cool stuff for making the world more dense and detailed.

But yeah, spy'ish themes, modern times and Chicago?  I'm pretty damn stoked.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
Star Wars 1313 looked super neat and shiny. I too like the look of Watchdogs. Beyond looked interesting.
Really, Ubisoft kind of saved the show and set the stage nicely for Playstation's conference. Microsoft's presentation was terrible awful.

Also re: Splintercell is the game both Ralnar and Trun are working on up in Toronto so I gave a cheer for that demo going so well. I rolled my eyes at people proclaiming after the demo that zomg there's no stealth anymore because you know that demo is obviously the entire game

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
ohhh.. nice. GL to them. i'm sorta peeved about Michael ironside. but meh.. if the game turns out well it'll be awesome. Conviction was an awesome game. so.. yeah..
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.

Kharvek

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
Conviction did a great job of making stealth more active and fun.   The old guard of stealth games was 'find a hiding spot, wait for guards to path, move.'

Conviction really took the basic core essence of that and made it fast paced...but still slanted towards staying hidden, with a fun get out of jail quick kill mechanic.  The gadgets, the lighting all really helped it and allowing Sam to move quickly even while in cover or sneaking kept it tense and quick.  It was honestly a very underrated game for what it did and I'm pretty excited about the new one.

I think the action complaints can be squarely laid at 'what makes a good E3 demo'.  Marketing dudes will push you to make high energy and action scenes that are very cinematic since the marketing suits say that's what people want.  A demo of *actual* gameplay complete with interface of Sam Fischer waiting patiently or sneaking around isn't going to have the glitz an E3 demo needs.  So...the complaints that the game is actiony are stupid, but the complaint they showed an action trailer is legit and I kinda hope PR loosens its grip on what devs show so the developers get more say on the kind of footage to present.

Totally agree that Ubisoft saved the show.  Most of what I was interested in came from them this year, and they actually made announcements about games I didn't know existed yet.  ...a novel idea that they actually used E3 to make announcements and not leak them first. :)  (Even though Watch_Dogs kinda screams to be leaked in some viraly technogeek way)

Leahnidas

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
I just love, love, love the Splinter Cell series, with Chaos Theory being one of my all-time favorite games. I agree that Conviction was fantastic, if not a little short, and I'm really looking forward to the new one. I'm a bit bummed about Ironside because he's just got that VOICE where you recognize it instantly but I'm sure I'll get used to the new fellow. My biggest hope is that there's not a major personality change to go with it, as I like Sam as this veteran presence who is completely badass but also a bit tired of the world as a whole, something that came through a lot with Ironside.

Regardless, awesome trailer, can't wait.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
I don't think they're going to make major changes to Sam Fisher, from my understanding they even had Michael Ironside on hand to help the new guy with the role it's just that they're capturing the voice and the motion at the same time and well Ironside is in his 50s.

Kharvek

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
Yup, it's all about pushing the mocap tech.  ...it'll be awesome but hard to replace Michael Ironside.  He had a pretty unique voice.

I just rewatched the Watch_Dogs trailer and realized it was MP/Co-op.  I'm not sure how that is gonna work but the potential seems huge.  If they put a dash of Demon/Dark Souls in there....I could see it maybe going like this:

- I'm in game.  I set my status to open.  At times the game generates a dynamic mission for me based on players who phase in and out of my game.  So I'm playing, not specifically with anyone, but then I'm told.  "Bob Smith is making an escape, cover him."  or perhaps competitive objectives, "Steve is escaping with something.  Stop him and take the stuff."  A phase in/out co-op/competitive system that involves players as mission objectives would be pretty amazing.

...though all that is a pretty hefty reach and not likely what was going on. :)  Still.  It looks awesome and yay Chicago.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »