Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 2418 times)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
The Witcher 2
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
Anyone out there tried The Witcher 2 yet?  It's getting like these crazy-good reviews but strangely I haven't seen anyone mention it here.  I'm thinking of picking it up on my way home from work today. 

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
The Witcher 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
It's at the top of my list next time I go on hiatus, but I'm currently enjoying heroics again, somehow.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
The Witcher 2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:05:02 AM »
Anyone out there tried The Witcher 2 yet?  It's getting like these crazy-good reviews but strangely I haven't seen anyone mention it here.  I'm thinking of picking it up on my way home from work today. 

If it was on console I would have snagged it already. I prefer my gaming on console to computer. But from all the gameplay footage I've watched it looks friggin amazing!
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

AdmiralShardy

• Ahoy!
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Twitter Account
The Witcher 2
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
The Witcher 2 is gorgeous and has a wonderful twisting storyline with actual choice and consequence.  In fact, you make a big choice at the end of the game's first chapter that completely diverges the game.  The second chapter can take place in one of two totally different places depending on the choice you make, and the way the third mini-chapter/end segment works out is very different depending on who you allied with throughout the rest of the game.

It's also rude, crude, and has a generous dose of the worst humanity has to offer (as one of the big themes of both the books and the games is that Geralt is a monster hunter, but humanity is more monsterous than anything he hunts.)  The combat system has been hit or miss with people.  It's very challenging and has a few glitches and issues that can be frustrating sometimes.  It needs an intermediate difficulty level between easy (too easy) and normal (too difficult compared to easy,) but at least the difficulty level can be changed at any time.

Oh, I'll just plug my review.  That's the highest score I've ever given.  I liked it more than Dragon Age Origins in every respect except that the writing isn't as good (the plot is better, though.)  It's worlds better than Dragon Age II, and I'm one of those people who actually likes Dragon Age II.

And The Witcher 2 is coming out for Xbox 360 sometime before the end of this year.  They announced it yesterday. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:16:00 PM by AdmiralShardy »
Admiral Shardrell, Retired Nelfy Pirate
Julia Cappo, Active Guild Wars 2 Pirate.  I like pirates.
Twitter: @BeckyCFreelance

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
The Witcher 2
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »
And The Witcher 2 is coming out for Xbox 360 sometime before the end of this year.  They announced it yesterday. :)

Giggidy!
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
The Witcher 2
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:23:54 AM »
Man, maybe I should finish the Witcher 1 before buying 2. Everyone seems to love it! I guess this is like my motivation to finish Mass Effect so I can get into ME2.

Because I'm derailing pretty hard, I'm going to make a Witcher 2 thread. I'm glad the combat is different than in the first one, which was okay but got tired once you got the timing down.

Also, that was a good review, Shardy! No spoilers, even for people who haven't finished Witcher 1, and it made me want to play the game. (I mean, I'm sure you've got good practice reviewing and such, so I'm not saying I'm surprised you know how to write a good review :))
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:27:14 AM by Edalia »
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: The Witcher 2
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
I just bought Witcher 2 last night via Amazon Downloads since it was at a reduced price AND I had mad credit. Unfortunately it looks like it is STILL downloading, so I won't get a chance to play it until late tonight at the earliest (had 10 Hours left when I checked it on my lunch break). I'm looking forward to it though since it seems pretty bad ass.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
So I got to play The Witcher 2 a lot more last night. And I has *thinking* of logging onto WoW for a little bit to do some dailies or something, but then I was like F THAT and just fired W2 back up! =)

The game is pretty friggin awesome. Once you get the hang of combat it gets more fun (but I am still working on getting the hang of it). Large group fights are still somewhat problematic for me, but CC style Magic seems to help. And when my health dips low I basically have just been running away blasting magic for a stun, then drive by sword swiping. Sometimes you can get an instant kill this way and it gives you a fatality finisher scene.

There are also some fun mini games in there. There is dice rolling, fist fighting (a quicktime event), and arm wrestling (precision clicking) thus far. The fist fighting is my favorite since Geralt has got some mad MMA skills.

I also got to try my hand as some of the crafting, making a new sword to replace one I lost, and a few potions via Alchemy. There appear to be a lot of recipes out there and reagents to collect for future use.

Dialogue options are good too. Some of them you can sit on and think about how to proceed, but other choices are timed and if you don't pick in time then they pick for you. You can also use Intimidation and Magic in some cases to get different reactions. The Magic option is awesome because Geralt does a subtle hand gesture and his eyes flash, which is a minor detail but awesome nonetheless.

As far as epic, let me give you a run down of the general events. Just in the Prologue/tutorial and getting to the very first town I have: Assaulted a Keep, Dueled a Noble, Escaped a Dragon, Witnessed a Murder, Escaped from a Dungeon (Prisoner), Battle to safety within a magic forcefield, and stopped a Hanging...oh and saw some sort of sea monster. Its pretty fucking sweet.

Thus far, I would catagorize W2 as similar to a Bethesda Elder Scrolls game, but with a tighter plot. There is a lot of stuff going on around you and the world feels large enough that you are not necessarilly the center of it, but you are powerful and respected enough that you CAN influence the immediate world around you.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »
Completed this tonight. I'm quite disappointed it's over; I may replay it to change my ally and make different choices. The first one was much longer (well over 100 hours); I think I clocked this one at exactly 60. Presumably the split chapter 2 means a shorter game.

At the beginning the combat was a little difficult (defending the ballista took more reloads than anything other than the Chapter 1 boss). However, I spent all my talent points in combat, and consequently it was much easier towards the end; particularly once you get Indestructible, the game gets much easier. The Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 bosses I just powered through without much strategy. Regardless, I really didn't think it was as hard as it was made out to be--prodigious use of parry/riposte, fast attack and dodging around enemies to strike from flank positions seemed to be pretty effective. Of course, I bought the Steam version, and it came will all sorts of DLC which included bonus equipment that you start with, and that may have helped a lot.

Art was lovely.

Music was lovely.

Voice acting was so-so (I love Triss but hate her voice actress).

Minigames were okay but were better in the first one.

Misogyny, while still present, was much reduced.

Romance was way more HBO and way less crappy than DA:O.

Overall, it was just fun to play, and I want more of it. It improved upon the original in every way save length (although one could argue that the first one was too long).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:25:49 PM by Gwyddyon »
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
REVIVAL!-Thread, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Console version of this is coming out April 17th. If you didn't get a chance to try it out on PC, think about looking for it now. Its a really fun game, and I would have called it RPG of the Year over Skyrim. But that is totally my biased opinion.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:16:25 AM »
Console version is out with some additions over the PC release from last year.

However, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! If you bought the PC version last year you are getting a free upgrade to the Enhanced edition. This includes 4 hours of new gameplay, 36 minutes of new cinematics (including a "better" ending), and some gameplay fixes such as the targetting system. Its a 10GB download, so you are getting some significant content.

When interviewed, CDProjekt had this to say:
It’s been a year since The Witcher 2 was first released on PC. Since then a series of big patches have added new quests, characters, combat tweaks and game modes. Earlier today, the Enhanced Edition made even more additions. Like every update for The Witcher 2, it was released as a free download. I met up with level designer Ziemak Marek last week to find out why CD Projekt have decided not to charge for additions that other companies would sell as DLC packs.

“It’s a part of our philosophy,” Marek said. “Our concept is to create a really great RPG game, and if it’s not great for everyone and it’s not as great as we’d like it to be, if it has some glitches or there are some elements that could be better, then we feel responsible for remaking them.”

Marek went on to say that “it wouldn’t be fair” to charge players for these remade areas. “It’s just improving the game,” he suggested, “it’s not delivering something that’s new.”

But it is adding something new, I suggested, mentioning the new difficulty mode and combat arena added in the 2.0 patch, and the four hours of new quests added in the Enhanced Edition. All these extra areas took time and money to develop, why not pass that cost on to the player?

“We do some extra work, but on the other hand, when you buy The Witcher, we’re promising you a really great experience. If you don’t feel satisfied enough then we, sometimes, probably a little bit guilty because we’re after delivering a really great experience,” he said.

Marek went on to explain that CD Projekt hope that free updates instil sense of goodwill among players. “If you trust as a player that our games are great, you like them, you enjoy them, even if we can’t think about everything, if you find some glitches or problems in the game, you’ll be sure that will be fixed,” he said. “Then you’ll probably feel good when you’re buying our games, and that’s what we’re after.”

“We’re giving resources for that,” he said.

/swoon

Could you imagine some of the big dog gaming companies taking a stance like that? Not to name names or anything...Capcom. >_>;;

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
It is an excellent philosophy to have, but it's also made possible because they're in Poland and thus have a much lower development cost than many/most other major studios, as well as a thriving user base in central Europe (and Europe in general) and via their other ventures (GoG, for one) to support them.

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
I may check out the enhanced edition. Key bindings were limited in the game so I stopped playing. But the witcher 1 enhanced edition was an awesome game while the early releases were okay, IMO.
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:21:23 AM »
You don't see this often, but here is a short video from the people over at CDProjekt thanking the fans for making The Witcher a success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJoP1yL-z4

Their next project is Cyberpunk, based on the PnP game. Deifnitely looking forward to it.