Author Topic: outfitting a char via crafting  (Read 1088 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
outfitting a char via crafting
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »
I'm running an experiment where I throw my whole family at outfitting Thana, a JC-Shadow, who is level 35.  She has a lot of orange gear, so a lot of slots are available.

The build list is:
* epic crystal (1), hilt (1), mod (5), enh (5), and armoring (4) mods
* epic earpiece, implants (2), belt, shoes and maybe something else (bracers?)
* blue medkits (the epic ones are the permanent ones that require Biochem)

Sadly, there isn't yet an epic OH that is a Willpower shield.  (I think that'll be added in 1.2.)  No craftable relics that I know of; that might also be added in 1.2, but I don't remember offhand.

The singleton gear pieces have been pretty straightforward: make the green thing, rev eng the blue thing, iterate.

The mods have been the surprisingly painful part.  The enh mods are crafted via artifice, and the epic version requires Ice Crystals from Treasure Hunting, which at this point, I think only drop from the custom missions.  (That, or the drop rate is incredibly low, or I've been really hosed by the RNG.)  Likewise, the mod mods require Neuranium which is obtained via Underworld Trading, which is also hard to find.  (I bought some off the GTN; there are no Ice Crystals to be had at any price.)  I had banked mats from when I ran up my TH and UT missions, so that helped.

If I were going to do the same thing with a new alt, I'd skip the orange stuff, bank it for later, and just make epic gear instead.  Someday, the mods I can buy off the planetary vendors will be better than the crafted epics, so that's when I'd pull the orange gear back out of the bank.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
Re: outfitting a char via crafting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
I found that doing all the quests on each planet would keep me supplied with enough item mods for my 5 pieces of orange gear. Barrels, hilts and crystal were harder to come by from quests though.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Enh and mod mods?  One of them is 2, the other is 7, if I'm remembering right.  So you were getting 45 commendations per planet?
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »
Enh and mod mods?  One of them is 2, the other is 7, if I'm remembering right.  So you were getting 45 commendations per planet?
I am not buying them - i get them as quest rewards - armor mods, mod mods, and enh mods.
Barrels/hilts/crystal dont come up as often as quest rewards and would be better to buy from the commendation vendors.

In any case, when leveling my 3 toons to 50, I rarely used anything I did not get as a quest reward or random drop. At 50, I crafted them epics.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:03 AM »
The results from all this crafting: Thana is not killing especially faster.  Being tank-spec, she is somewhat harder to take down -- I had a bad pull the other night (a pack of normals came along when I was fighting an elite), hit a cooldown, and sorta breezed through it.

Oh, and a lot of my family is now at 400 in their crafts, heh.  :)

So, it's a nice bump, but in some ways it's comforting that it's not a huge difference, because I won't feel like I'm missing out if I don't do this to all of my chars (which would be annoying, because it takes so damn long).