Author Topic: "Day 1" DLC  (Read 5838 times)

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
Re: "Day 1" DLC
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
Paying money to unlock content [mostly] already on the disc sets a very dangerous precedent, especially for a premium priced game.

I know Marco asked the same question, but I'll ask it again. Why is this a huge concern for you? I honestly don't understand the antipathy.

You're paying for content. Why does it matter where the content is?

I think the very fact that you have to pay to unlock content that is part of the content you already paid for is what rubs the wrong way. When it is data they come up with later and must be added on it feels less like a "fuck you." I mean it is right THERE. They already made it part of the game and are locking it off from you unless you pay them, or are a very clever hacker perhaps?

I have to agree with Edalia at a dangerous precedent being set.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
I have to agree with Edalia at a dangerous precedent being set.

Actually, I said the opposite :). You agree with Vylin!

Marco really hit the nail on the head: at what point is it a "cash grab" rather than "good DLC?" I agree that you aren't paying for the data on the physical artifact, but the experience.

Kharv-the DLC for From Ashes is already 621 MB for some reason. How much larger would it be if it were ALL the content? Shadow Broker is only a few levels with some voice and animation, but it's a whopping 1.7 GB. How can you expect someone to wait to download DLC that encompasses as much voice and animation as Javik apparently represents?
o/\o

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Kharv-the DLC for From Ashes is already 621 MB for some reason. How much larger would it be if it were ALL the content? Shadow Broker is only a few levels with some voice and animation, but it's a whopping 1.7 GB. How can you expect someone to wait to download DLC that encompasses as much voice and animation as Javik apparently represents?

Because downloading 1.7GB takes approximately 10min  ;D

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
Audio.  Audio takes up a *shitload* of space, especially voice.  If they localize audio to other languages on top of that?  Look out.

Edalia: First Microsoft and Sony each have rules about just how big DLC can be.  It's large enough to be a pain to download though.  Basically the negative backlash we get when people discover DLC on the disc ends up being worse than people waiting 10-30minutes to download something as opposed to having it on disc and available with a few small files and a key.

It's ass backwards but people are infinitely more willing to download a big file and wait...than find out it's on the disc but they can't use it.  In reality they are *WAY* more inconvenienced by downloading it, but it gives them the illusion that everything on the disc they have they got access to by buying the game.

It also makes way more sense for our game anyway.  Our DLC isn't a new character with 1000's of lines of audio.  It's customization objects that are all exceptionally tiny in size and won't hardly be a blip to download.  Having people wait 10 seconds instead of 3 seconds and save face for when people inevitably find the content on disc?  That's a win.  (Shit even making them wait 30 minutes is better in a lot of cases)

I mean if everyone who was all up in arms at on disc DLC suddenly had the wool back over their eyes, and the DLC came out a month or two later and was a 30 minute download, would it be maddening?  Would it be as maddening as finding out 75% of the files for that DLC was on the disc with the game?

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
Kharv summed up exactly how I feel about it. This is a dangerous trend that we are agreeing on multiple things. End of days?  :D

But yes, of course its up to the individual to either not care about Day 1 DLC or to take offense to it. I take offense to buying a physical object and having limited access to its contents. About the only Day 1 DLC I can tolerate are the free weapons/items/costumes that are associated with pre-ordering through certain sites because ultimately these do not affect my story. In Javik's case, he affects the main story with his clarification on the Reapers and the origin of the current races. Conversely, Kasumi and Zaaed offered nothing to the story except for their own self-contained story. This is why there was not a stink about Kasumi placeholders being on the ME2 disc, that and it being released after ME2 hit the shelves.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 05:47:11 AM »
I take offense to buying a physical object and having limited access to its contents.

That's the problem with software; you're not buying a physical object (although it seems like you are). You're buying a license to use said physical object.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
That's the problem with software; you're not buying a physical object (although it seems like you are). You're buying a license to use said physical object.

I can understand and respect that logic, but I don't agree with it.

Edit: Also I should note that I do understand that is how software works in the business world. Part of my job entails reselling various software and I find it "beyond ludicrous" that the same piece of software (exact same) costs $500 more when it is licensed for a Server instead of a Desktop.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:34:44 AM by Vylin »
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »
It also makes way more sense for our game anyway.  Our DLC isn't a new character with 1000's of lines of audio.  It's customization objects that are all exceptionally tiny in size and won't hardly be a blip to download.  Having people wait 10 seconds instead of 3 seconds and save face for when people inevitably find the content on disc?  That's a win.  (Shit even making them wait 30 minutes is better in a lot of cases)

See, you say you guys are doing shit differently for SR3, but you're not doing the same thing differently! :) If I had 32 different dildo swords that I had to pay for, but all the data was already on the disc, I might think "huh, why didn't they just let me download this?" Maybe if they each had 97 minutes of voice acting, people would rather they be on a disc.
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 06:59:13 AM »
Saint's Row 4: Now with 97 minutes of Dildo-Bat Voice Acting!

I'd buy it.  :D