Author Topic: "Day 1" DLC  (Read 5570 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: "Day 1" DLC
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Thanks to Youtube, I am watching everything I missed with "From Ashes". Its an easier pill to swallow since it has zero bearing on the game (aside from having the best squadmate for my eventual insanity playthrough).
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
It's a business thing.  They make money, so they'll keep doing it.  For the thousands of angry forum posters, there's hundreds of thousands of people that buy it.  That's a tiny fraction compared to the millions of sales, but it still makes money given these are usually very cheap and easy to make.

Again, it's not a practice I like, especially when most of the content is done at launch.  Yes, sometimes a fraction gets delayed and it's not always 100% a pure greed story, but honestly, it largely is...and at the end of the game, the games industry is an entertainment industry built to make money on luxury products we don't need.  If consumers shell out more money for this model, they're going to keep doing it.

Now there is something to be said for building trust and loyalty among your customers and people that give out frequent free content often gain a fiercely loyal following willing to pay MORE than your basic price.  Look at Terraria, or Tim Schafer's kickstarter deal.  I'm pretty sure a Bioware kickstarter wouldn't raise much money....but they won't need to.  They'll just make a ton anyway

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
An interesting note I read today was about CD Projekt and Witcher 2. Apparently the community of there lynches anyone even mentioning pirating that game just because of the loyalty developed between the company and fans. Its interesting to see how different companies run things and its effects. Bioware/EA probably destroys CD Projekt in terms of revenue regardless.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Kharvek

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
Fun fact since the genres have zero cross-section.  Everyone bitches about how awful the SR2 PC port is and how they'd never support whoever did that ever again.

...that was CD Projekt. :)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
The thing I find most interesting about this situation is that, in any other industry driven by consumer sales, we would not even be having a discussion about whether the consumers' opinion is "valid," or they're just "entitled," or whether they should just "learn the process better."  I'm not saying that anyone needs to picket EA or bring a lawsuit, but here's the bottom line: they did something that a very vocal minority of their consumer base finds really distasteful.  You can't pull that shit in other industries.  If Apple pulled a similar stunt and a hardcore base of Apple consumers starting whipping up this kind of a shit storm, you can bet safe money that no one would be saying, "Oh, you just don't get it; you entitled jackasses should just calm down and not buy the product if you're so annoyed."  But for some reason, because we're talking video games here, we're having a discussion about whether the consumer is "really" getting screwed or whether EA/Bio "really" did anything wrong or whether gamers "just don't get it."

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Fun fact since the genres have zero cross-section.  Everyone bitches about how awful the SR2 PC port is and how they'd never support whoever did that ever again.

...that was CD Projekt. :)

You like saying that, but I suspect that they have an A-team that makes their games and a B-team that does shitty side-work that pays the bills. Guess which team you got.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
If Apple pulled a similar stunt and a hardcore base of Apple consumers starting whipping up this kind of a shit storm, you can bet safe money that no one would be saying, "Oh, you just don't get it; you entitled jackasses should just calm down and not buy the product if you're so annoyed."
You mean like when Apple dropped the iPhone price by $200 two months after it went on sale, and Steve Jobs said, "This is life in the technology lane?"  Admittedly they offered $100 in store credit to make nice, but there was plenty of debate about whether the consumers were entitled jackasses.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
If the Intertubes have taught me anything at all, then there's no real debate over the fact that purchasers of Apple kit are, in fact, entitled jackasses.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
If the Intertubes have taught me anything at all, then there's no real debate over the fact that purchasers of Apple kit are, in fact, entitled jackasses.

Said the iPad/iPhone owner...
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
... and MBP.

Kharvek

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »
I don't think it's A-team vs B-team.  ...I think it's more:

1: Our game and the Witcher use vastly different tech.  They developed the tech in house for the Witcher.  They're used to it, its theirs.  SR2 used our tech which they had to learn and then port the game for.

2: Limited time.  They only had so much time to work with it.  The game was also built directly for the consoles.  They had a lot of work to try to make it work on a PC, but not the time to do it.  The Witcher was built from the ground up for PC, with a potential future for console.

I don't blame CD Projekt but it's still funny to me.  We've learned out lesson, we tried outsourcing one more time to better success with RFG and since then all PC development has moved in house and it's much, much better that way.  I'm not sure why studios continue to outsource the stuff.  It's oddly only marginally cheaper to do that way and quality takes a huge hit.  Hell all our current projects all three platforms are being developed simultaneously.

Kranker

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

This is why you buy Apple stock at $150.....   #win

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »
I played the Day 1 DLC, it came with the collector's edition. I felt like it was kinda important. It didn't feel like Kasumi or Zaaed. I felt like a character that was in the game, and then they took out to charge for. It is kind of a bummer but i'll support Bioware.

On the other hand. As annoyed as I am about Day 1 DLC, I honestly can't complain too much about game companies trying to get a few more bucks when people steal half the copies in ownership if not more. The amount of pirating going on right now is a little out of control. That's my 2 cents.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 06:36:13 AM »
While that might be true about the pirating, you're basically punishing the people who ARE paying and supporting the brand. Pirates will still DL the game regardless, especially if the company is perceived as being large and evil (EA).

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:04 AM »
While that might be true about the pirating, you're basically punishing the people who ARE paying and supporting the brand. Pirates will still DL the game regardless, especially if the company is perceived as being large and evil (EA).
True but we have a choice not to buy the DLC. It is a lot more difficult for them to prevent pirating. Also most of the pirating is done P2P. And those that don't use P2P are kept afloat heavily through traffic. While we can argue we shouldn't be punished, my opinion (and I agree with Marco on this) that we have the option to not buy it or at least wait until the price drops. On a side note, I was really mad about the Day 1 DLC but with recent discussions with others, my mind has been changing more and more.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).