Author Topic: Shadow tanks doing dps (at level 29)  (Read 1184 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Shadow tanks doing dps (at level 29)
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
I'm trying to figure out if I'm Doing It Wrong, but for single-target dps, do Shadows have a lot of options?  Well, options at level 29, that is.  :)

I was trying to fight the level 30 elite in the Alderaan class quest chain and kept getting spanked, so I think they're not lying when they recommend it for level 31.  Still, it seemed my options were:

Set I: tank stance for self-healing and mitigation
* kinetic ward for mitigation
* double strike for dps
* force wave, mind snap, and force stun for interrupting the elite's more interesting effects
* maybe use Force Breach for the debuff, although I need to doublecheck that the elite isn't immune

Set II: dps stance for more dps
* as above
* keep Force Breach DOT up.
...but I think this is a lose, because this isn't a dps race, it's a "how the hell do I live long enough" problem.  Not to mention that all my talents are pointing towards tanking, not dps, so I think I want to exploit that.

It just feels weird to have zillions of abilities, but for single target, I'm basically ignoring 90% of them.

Thoughts?
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Shadow tanks doing dps (at level 29)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
For what it's worth, I couldn't finish my Smuggler class quest until I hit 31, either.

Out of curiosity, what is your companion doing during all of this?
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
I have a ranged dps/healer companion, so he's helping out with both of those.  It's just that the incoming damage is faster than he can heal.

Alright, then, back to saving Alderaan first.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
I have a ranged dps/healer companion, so he's helping out with both of those.  It's just that the incoming damage is faster than he can heal.

Alright, then, back to saving Alderaan first.  :)

I ran into this problem as Sentinel a fair bit. I would advise the application of cheese...directly to the forehead. If you have slows/snares...use them and kite the enemies. They don't move faster than you so can run and do semi ranged attacks. If the enemy is ranged, abuse any LoS obstacles and just run around pillars.

The non-cheese thing would be to make sure you have up to date Armor Mods and Lightsaber Hilts in your equipment, or that its been updated very recently. Use some fancy Commendations if you have them to buy nice Mods to your gear.

As for actual gameplay tactics...My Shadow is 12, so my advice in that realm is trivial at best & laughable at worst.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
Yeah, my opponent is formidable at ranged attacks, so that won't work quite so well.  And my ranged attacks suck.

I think it's largely a level problem.  Normally, I don't think twice about attacking -1 elites -- all I'll do is check to make sure nothing will add, but normally, they're very lonely.  +1 elites is something I haven't tried before.

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
I actually like the fact that ducking behind trees and pillars works.  In some games, the enemy's shots would just go through them and they would provide no cover at all.  SWTOR seems to do a reasonable job of moving mobs into line of sight if you decide to hide, though I suppose you can still abuse this if you want to.
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry