Author Topic: Class Storyline: Thoughts and Impressions (As Spoiler Free As Possible)  (Read 1852 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
I saw an interesting thread on MMO-Champion about an imperial player asking about the storylines for the Republic classes, so I thought I would hijack the idea to get people's impressions. Ignoring gameplay, what do you think about the Class Storylines thus far?

Trooper: For the Beta-Weekend I played Trooper and I did like their story. Its basically Mass Effect in the Star Wars universe. That's not a bad thing though, because it is well done. You would probably enjoy this storyline if you are less interested in the mystical and more interested in military/spec ops type of flavors. One thing I REALLY enjoy about the Trooper storyline was that Dark Side choices didn't make you feel "evil". Basically it was very much akin to the "Renegade" responses. I found my Trooper responding fairly evenly between Light and Dark based on the situation (I won't kick a man when he's down, but if saving a handful of people slows me down from diffusing a bomb that could kill hundreds then those needy people are on their own).

Jedi Knight: Right now on live I've played a Jedi Knight up to level 44 and am pretty far in the JK Storyline. Honestly its pretty good. The tasks are repetative in that it seems to be all about stopping the bazillion doomsday devices all over the place. Its actually a little exhausting and disconcerting that their are so many ways the Empire has to be gifted with an "I Win" button in the JK story. That being said, you really do get to play like a Knight crusading through the galaxy. Light Side/Dark Side choices seem to revolve around whether you are focused on completing the objective at all costs (I.E. sacrificing others) or whether you are willing to make things harder on yourself to do the right thing. But as many people have mentioned, JK has one of the most bad ass (from a Republic standpoint) confrontations of all classes. If you were making a movie based on SWTOR then the main character would be the JK.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Class Storyline: Thoughts and Impressions (As Spoiler Free As Possible)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
JC is quite compelling storywise.  The LS/DS choices are kinda meh, but I guess that doesn't bother me so much, but I could see how it'd be hair-pullingly frustrating to others.

Smuggler, what little I've seen (only level 18), is quite good.  I tend to focus on "so, what's in it for me?" angle a lot, and I am not disappointed by lack of choices.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Hjorolf

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
Smuggler, what little I've seen (only level 18), is quite good.  I tend to focus on "so, what's in it for me?" angle a lot, and I am not disappointed by lack of choices.

I've been playing it this way- never punch down, but punch up as hard as possible. So I'll help the widows and orphans for free, but if the Man wants my help it's gonna cost.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »

I've been playing it this way- never punch down, but punch up as hard as possible. So I'll help the widows and orphans for free, but if the Man wants my help it's gonna cost.

++a million billion.  Orphans?  Sure, have some credits.  You're the Man?  Go on, repeat those words again.  I just like the sound of "a bonus of ridiculous proportions".
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
I am really digging the Trooper storyline and the three companions I've picked up so far are all super awesome. LS/DS options are usually pretty reasonable either way, or at least understandable. (As opposed to "Hi I'm gonna eat these babies for no reason!" type DS decisions.) If you're aiming for LS, you're still probably going to pick up a few DS points or feel like the worst soldier ever though.

My consular is much lower level, and I don't like his storyline as much, but it feels like the hook is still just getting going. (As opposed to the Trooper storyline whose plot is pretty much laid out for you before you leave Ord Mantell.) DS/LS options both make me feel like a complete jerk. Although I do love getting Force Persuade conversation options when I just don't feel like fighting this jerk a second time.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
From here and elsewhere I hear a really mixed review about the Consular storyline. I've heard its terrible, a fun mystery, fairly average, ect...
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
I do really enjoy, actual gameplay-wise, that the Consular class quests are very puzzle-y/"did you read the codex entry?"
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
I have been enjoying the Consular story line.  I'm playing it as a sort of Goody Goody, and its given me plenty of chances to be so.  I've probably accumulated about 500 dark points though, as some of the 'good' choices are 'dumb' and Jaenelle is not 'dumb'.

It does have a few 'special' moments, including me having to 'rescue' someone I'd really have just left lost.

It does have a lot of the "you are the one special snowflake that can personally save the entire world" vibe going on.

It is amusing, as you go later in the story you get some dialog lines that let you say things roughly like "let me go take care of that army for you by myself because I'm just that awesome".  And its true.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
I do really enjoy, actual gameplay-wise, that the Consular class quests are very puzzle-y/"did you read the codex entry?"

Wacky.  I've never read a Codex entry.  Now I'm curious what you went back and read.  :)

Yeah, if you want to play a pragmatic Jedi, Consular is Not The Class For You.  If you want to play a goody goody, ooh boy, yep, Consular, there we go.  (I've turned on Show Me LS/DS Options, because I'd rather max out LS generation and get access to toys, rather than wonder what the writer was thinking.)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
That is a little disappointing since I will probably end up with 2 Consulars...maybe 1 should be an Inquisitor. Too bad its so lonely on the Imp side T_T.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
(JK) What pleased me was a nice little twist featuring Kira after Nar Shadaa/Taris. It gives the hint that your companions don't just sign on and then become cardboard cut-outs that help you kill things. They have their own tales as well (at least in this case).

I do like the JK storyline (and Avi likes it better than her Consular one) but it does kind of have the 'new Death Star of the week' vibe going, as previously mentioned. I have to wonder if like, the Republic has Death Star equivalents that we don't know about unless we are Sith who are thwarting them.

P.S. I miss Watcher One. That right there was Lawful Evil with a British accent and it was perfect.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
Watcher One was a GREAT bad guy. There are a few Pureblood Sith later on that are cool too. I was always partial to the bad guys that adhered to a code and had some honor.

Regarding the JK storyline...it does start to get bland after awhile with the "Death Star of the Week". But let me tell you this. When you get to Corellia be ready to be excited about the repurcussions your previous choices. And then, for the finale, prepare to be blown away...literally, its both awesome and frustrating.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
Trooper story has been a blast so far. One of the things that has kept me motivated through some of the slower planets. I am in the middle of Chapter 2 from what I can tell. It is very Mass Effect-y. I hate to use that analogy but I can see a lot of similarities between the chapters and ME 1 & 2. It has been a blast though and absolutely makes you feel like a special forces unit. Very epic.

On a Flashpoint note: Everyone should play the Jedi Prisoner Flashpoints. An absolute must. There are two of them you get in the mid-30s. Best story of the game so far I think. Even some connections to Esseles too which I thought was cool.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »
The Counselor story is OK, but watching the JK story line I feel mine pales in comparison. His has really drawn me in. I care about the NPCs and even his companion Kira is directly involved with the major line. I don't want to spoil much for the Counselor, but I feel disconnected from the peril since you only see it in the RP scenes. If it actually had adverse game effect though, well yea I can see why that would suck. I do want to get the big bad guy, I do feel a desire to kick him in the nuts. But it is just in comparison to what I feel is a richer JK story line it pales.