Author Topic: Flashpoint general notes  (Read 1081 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Flashpoint general notes
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
Based on my vast experience of running Esseles once and Hammer once...  *lugs over a really really really big salt shaker*

Esseles seems like a game of jungleball.  Run in, shoot stuff, nevermind tanking or healing.

Hammer seems a bit more real: you do want a tank and a healer.  Things that greatly helped me:

* Turn on enemy NPC nameplates.

"Strong" and "Elite" NPCs have little additional icons next to them.  Now you know who to kill last.  (I believe in killing mooks first, since they are high damage / low health.)

* Non-Strong/Elite mobs don't need to be tanked.

This is a bit like being out in the wild: four Normal mobs standing around?  Whatever.  Nevermind marking: just rush in and KILL EVERYTHING.

* Quite a few trash pulls only have 1 Strong mob and a few Normal mobs.

Tank goes up to the Strong guy, bodypulling everything.  Everyone else just gets 'em.  This makes for a fast-paced run, which is lovely.  Also, low stress on the tank: only one Strong icon?  Run in.

* Blowing up canisters or pipes FTW.

Note that the first time you click on the pipe, it spills oil.  Click on it again to actually ignite it.  Of course, you could just blow stuff up instead, but where's the fun in that?

* CC is probably darn important.

I wouldn't know; we did Hammer with two on-level people and two people who were +6 or something crazy.  But some of those pulls are big.

* Jedi Knights make Shadow tanks cry.

I mean, this is no different from dps Warriors making palatanks cry.  I'M LOOKING AT YOU, GWYD.  That said, once I figured out, oh hey, I don't need to tank the Normals?  Then it was easy.  Gwy goes jumping in, I taunt the Strong guy off him, profit.  (To be fair, Gwy stopped doing that fairly quickly.  :D  )

Added 1/1/2012:

* "How do I get to the flashpoint?"  Go to the Fleet, take the eastern elevator down to Dropship Landing Pad.  At one end are lower-level monitors; at the opposite are instances more like 27+.  The instance portal is directly behind the corresponding monitor.

Note that for people who have a security key, you can buy a Fleet Pass from the Security Vendor (Fleet, inner ring, Northwest) and then you should have an Emergency Fleet Pass in your General tab of your Abilities page.  It has an 18 hour cooldown.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:11:45 PM by thanaomira »
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
Re: Flashpoint general notes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
* Jedi Knights make Shadow tanks cry.

This will probably stop when you get "Whirling Blow" at level 26.  Until then Shadow AoE threat moves are sorely limited.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
No, it's the "Gwy can close in one GCD, whereas I need to run in" problem.  I was actually using Turbo Boost (I forget what it's called...  Force Speed?) to close in at times.

I found that the AOE "everyone take a bit of damage and take a 5% accuracy debuff" worked fine.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Honorata

• Your Own Personal Eeyore
  • Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:31:50 AM »
There were only a few pulls in Athiss where CC felt really necessary (obviously I'm not including that we were mostly all a couple levels too high for it). I've seen much worse pulls in the heroic quests I've done. There are a few patrols, so it can get hairy if you're not careful.

we discovered some cool stuff, which was that your crew skills may allow you to take shortcuts through flashpoints. Rol used Slicing to turn on an elevator, letting us skip quite a bit of trash, and later Thana used archaeology to open an old door, allowing us to skip a couple hallways. So definitely be on the look out for those sort of things.

WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »
3manned Mando raiders with my Kira for DPS. Companions are are really non-ideal because 1) they stand in stuff and 2) it's one more thing to target and control. We wipe once on the last boss because she stuck to him and kept moving him to the next turret phase, causing us to get behind on turrets.

The dog packs are pretty brutal and I made liberal use of cooldowns for them. It also really made me want to put those 3 points in improved thunderclap--I mean Force Smash--but I'm persisting in going up until at least Hilt Strike before then.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester