Author Topic: Theorycrafting: Shadow tanking  (Read 715 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Theorycrafting: Shadow tanking
« on: December 26, 2011, 05:21:05 AM »
Thana is only level 19, so here goes.

AOE
Force Breach
Force: 20
CD: 15 sec
Range: 10m
Strikes up to 5 nearby enemies for 117-144 each and reducing their accuracy by 5% for 18 sec.

Force Wave
Force: 20
CD: 20 sec
Deals 152 - 165 kinetic damage and knocks back all enemies within 8 meters. Standard and weak enemies are additionally knocked down for 3 seconds.

Single-target, Ranged, Instant
Project
Force: 45
Cooldown: 6 sec
266-295 damage, standard/weak enemies stunned for 3 sec.

Pulling
Mind Crush
Activation: 2 sec
Force: 40
Cooldown: 15 sec
199-226, plus 306 over 6 sec DOT.

Telekinetic Throw
Channeled: 3 sec
Force: 30
Cooldown: 6 sec
Range: 10 m
538 damage and slow movement by 50%; standard/weak enemies are immobilized.

Everything Else
General beatdown: Saber Strike (no Force), Double Strike (use Force to hit harder)
Stun/Interrupt: Mind Snap (12 sec CD), Force Stun (1 min CD)
Taunt: Mind Control (15 sec CD)
Tanking CD: Summon The Force (20 min CD)

The one thing I haven't mentioned is a short CD: Force Potency.

Force Potency
Instant
Cooldown: 90 sec
Grants 2 charges of Force Potency, which increases the Force critical chance of your direct attacks and heals by 60% and increases the range of Telekinetic Throw to 30 meters. Each time a direct Force ability critically hits or you activate Telekinetic Throw, you lose 1 charge. Lasts 20 seconds.

This seems like a great thing for pulls: TK Throw from 30m, and when all the bad guys are near you, burn the second charge on a critted Force Breach or Force Wave.

What I find odd is the 90 sec thing: is that short enough for once every pull?  I'm wondering if that's more once every other pull.

Soloing, my experience has been that weak opponents do a lot of damage relative to their health, so I tend to take out minions first and then concentrate on the one big bad guy.

So in a group, I'd be tempted to try and CC the big bad guy (although the one elite I ran across, it was immune to CC and stun).  So maybe then if there are (say) 4 minions and a big bad left after CC, try to do:

* Mark the second-closest minion as the kill target.
* Mind Crush closest minion.
* If I haven't gotten mobbed yet, TK Throw the marked minion.  I suspect this'll be a skill differentiator: good tanks will get in the full channel, and tanks like me will get a lot of pushback.
* Force Breach on CD.
* Not sure what's after that.  I guess tab-targeting might work: either Saber Strike the guy in melee, or Project the guy at range.

---

So basically the question I have is: is Force Breach + Force Wave enough to keep stuff off the healer?  Having Project on a quick CD is handy for keeping the gunslinger's attention, I think.

Annnd I totally need to re-do my bars.  Force Breach is on the underside of my keyboard, I think.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)