Author Topic: Theorycrafting: Scoundrel healing  (Read 1545 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Theorycrafting: Scoundrel healing
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:55:36 AM »
Haven't started healing in earnest, but Marco gave me a few pointers which I passed on to Shermon? so I figure it's worth writing down.

Scoundrel healing is dependent on energy, so energy management becomes a big deal.

At level 17, we have three heals:

Underworld Medicine
Activation: 2 sec (reduced from 2.5 via a 2/2 talent)
Energy: 25
Range: 30m
Healing: 436-520 (this is almost certain gear-dependent on +Cunning)
100% chance of granting Upper Hand

Diagnostic Scan
Channeled: 2 sec
Healing: Heals a target for 24 over 3 sec. (No, that's not a typo.)

Kolto Pack
Activation: 1.5 sec
Energy: 20
Healing: 347-419; requires and exploits Upper Hand

So already, we can do some theorycrafting.

UM: 478 avg heal in 2 sec for 25 energy
239 hps
19.12 hpe

DS: worthless healing that's energy free
crap hps
infinite hpe

KM: 383 healing in 1.5 sec for 20 energy
255 hps
19.15 hpe

Upper Hand is a Scoundrel passive: Defeating an opponent or activating Blaster Whip or Shoot First grants the Upper Hand, increasing all damage dealt by 2% and enabling the use of exploits for 10 seconds. Up to 2 charges of Upper Hand can exist at once.

I don't have Shoot First yet.  Blaster Whip is a 4m range ability with a 6sec cooldown, so as Marco also pointed out to me, Scoundrels want to be in melee range, not shooting from cover.  Fortunately, Guardian tanks have their Guard thing that only works within 15m, so yay for that.

The other use of Upper Hand is Pugnacity: Exploits Upper Hand to recover 3 energy every 3 seconds for 45 seconds. Requires and consumes Upper Hand. Does not break Stealth.  35sec cooldown.

---

Abilities cooldowns:
Back Blast: 9 sec (biggest damage per GCD, must be behind target)
Blaster Whip: 6 sec (generates Upper Hand)
Vital Shot: GCD (a DOT)

So, to me, that says:

1.  Close to melee range -- i.e., stick near the tank.
2.  Blaster Whip someone to get a charge of Upper Hand.
3.  Shoot things until someone needs healing.
4.  Use Kolto Medicine to heal.
5.  Use Pugnacity early: either use the energy to keep dpsing or to heal.
6.  If you're screwed, hit Cool Head, because you'll regen a ton of energy, and with the 2/2 talent, you'll immediately have 18 energy, too.

And with GCD weaving, you have a 1:4 to generate Upper Hand and a 1:6 to contribute damage to the skull'ed target.  Which, ha ha, presumes the tank is marking targets.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Theorycrafting: Scoundrel healing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:56:56 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use Blaster Whip to build Upper Hand given that Underworld Medicine does it.  Blaster Whip uses less energy, but none of that energy goes into healing.

At row 3 of talents (level 20), you get "Slow-release Medpac", which is a HOT, stackable up to two times.  At row 5, you get "Emergency Medpac", which is an instant heal consuming Upper Hand (no energy cost, about half the healing of an Underworld Medicine, free on targets with <30% health if talented).  At row 7, you get Kolto Cloud, which is short-range AOE HOT on a 12s cooldown--reminiscent of Wild Growth in WoW.

Diagnostic Scan appears to heal for a little more than it says; my tooltip says 40 over 3 seconds, but when I actually cast it, each tick is 41, or about 1% of my health.  Still, Underworld Medicine has about ten times the HPS (hits for about 800, takes two seconds to activate).  Diagnostic Scan can be boosted by talents to crit more often and restore energy on crits, but Underworld Medicine still seems to have about ten times the bandwidth.  I wonder if this skill was too strong in beta and was overnerfed to the point where it has no practical role.