Author Topic: Advanced Class Review: Jedi Sentinel  (Read 3774 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Advanced Class Review: Jedi Sentinel
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
The Jedi Sentinel is one of the Advanced Class of the Jedi Knight. Its a pure DPS class with 3 DPS Trees.

Watchman specializes in DoT strikes.

Combat specializes in burst damage.

Force specializes in Utility/CC (and is the shared tree with a Jedi Guardian).

The Good: The actual storyline is very good if you enjoy being the goody-two-shoes hero. Thus far (level 23) the bad guys are all interesting and are compelling enough to make you want to continue on with the story. The Dark Side options are not terribly evil, and I could see someone playing their Knight as an "Ends Justify the Means" character.

The DPS is also very nice. When you are allowed to go to town on an enemy you have a lot of ways to maximize DPS and really crank out the damage.

The Bad: While I like playing the story, I do not like the gameplay. The "Focus" resource mechanic feels clunky and out of date. Although you have a couple of ways to build up Focus quickly, the "Ramp Up" time required for several of stances means you can't really unload and kill off entire groups that quickly before taking a fair amount of damage.

Which brings me to my second big complaint, damage mitigation. The Sentinel takes a ton of damage imo. From playing a Trooper at similar level, I was able to kill enemies before they could do much damage. A Sentinel, on the other hand, is required to use his defensive CD's every fight in order to not end below 25% HP. Although you are given a tank in the form of T7, the DPS ramp up time usually means T7 is taking a fair amount of damage (and Kira does more AoE damage to help kill groups quicker).

The Ugly: PvP is terrible as a Sentinel. I say this primarily because a Sentinel lacks any sort of CC at lower levels. Our first CC is given at 24 in the form of a CHANNELED stun. Through talents, some of our abilities can also apply immobilization effects. And while the DPS is great, without reliable CC the class falls behind when compared the Guardian/Juggernauts or Shadows.

Overall: I do plan on finishing this classes story arc, because I really want to see how it unfolds. However, I don't plan on continuing to play the Sentinel class afterwards. There is one caveat. From reading a lot of people say the Sentinel gets REALLY good towards the end. Apparently while some classes get good little by little, the Sentinel gets all of his goodies at the end. This has to do with them being very reliant on Gear and the Top Tiers of their Spec (especially Combat). So I will have to reserve judgment until the end, but right now I don't advise the Sentinel class as it failed to WOW me like the Commando did.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Advanced Class Review: Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
That's interesting, because I recall a YouTube video post-NDA, showing a Sentinel going to town in PvP on Tatooine.  Perhaps he was high level?

Edit:  Found the movie:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrvnxfSDomQ

Level 27-30, hmmm.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:31:52 AM by Periastron »
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Yeah, that was the video that inspired me to try Sentinel over Guardian. Open world PvP might be a different story than objective based PvP. You also have to remember...those are the fights he chose to show. I better video is on GameBreaker.tv by Taugrim playing as a Sentinel. I like it more because he shows an entire match, not just the good stuff.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
UPDATE:

I am now Level 42, have done some Flashpoints and have done some more PvPing. So here are some updated thoughts.

Leveling: It sucks, and is pretty unforgiving. Your lack of CC makes pulls problematic and adds life-threatening. However, things pick up once you get Doc (Scoundrel Healer). Hopefully you like him because I doubt you can level without him (as I have seen some Guardians doing). He helps a lot and with him you should be able to start taking on Gold Elites with a fairly high success rate. You will still need to rotate Defensive CD's regularly in order to survive though.

Flashpoints: I think this is where Sentinels start to shine a little bit. I do think that with a proper rotation their DPS can be impressive. However, they are not leaps and bounds ahead of any other DPS I have run with yet. Also, their small utility does make a difference and is noticable.

PvP: I still think Sentinels are not in a good spot for PvP. If you want to be a JK for PvP, I would recommend Guardian. The only time I have felt like a true threat was when I had a 50 Sage Healing me. We were able to wipe the floor with the Imps while being outnumbered, but I think that is more a credit to the Sage rather than the Sentinel. This leads me to believe that the Sentinel is best placed in an organized PvP group rather than just PUGing for fun. Their ability to ignore 100% of enemy armor for a short duration would make me think they would make great tankbusters, but are actually more at home harassing healers.

Overall: The Sentinel class has indeed gotten better at higher levels like many had mentioned. However, I still don't think I would recommend this AC over the Guardian, nor would I recommend it as a DPS class over virtually anything else.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »
UPDATE:

I am now level 50 and have major news to report.

The TLDR version is that no one under any circumstances should ever spec Combat (which is what I was). It is terrible.

After growing very frustrated with the Sentinel gameplay in terms of damage output and survivability, I hit the forums and scrounged for several days. Amidst a massive amount of complaints about the class I found a few people who kept mentioning the Watchmen spec. Now, at first glance, the Watchmen spec doesn't look incredibly effective...but I tried it and there is literally nothing Combat does that Watchman doesn't do better. The only downside I read was that Watchmen spec takes longer to kill weaker enemies since it is DoT based, but my experience is that it is simply not true. Watchman kills everything just as fast if not faster than Combat.

Leveling: The periodic heal from the DoTs is amazing for lasting through the tough fights vs. multiple Silver or Gold groups. Watchman spec also builds Zen at an incredibly high pace which, when activated, makes all your DoTs into crits (and thus heals). After switching from Combat to Watchman, leveling became a breeze and I really stopped dieing despite fighting tougher fights.

Flastpoints: I think I only did a single Flashpoint as Watchman, but I didn't really notice that much of a playstyle difference except that during boss fights Focus was easy to build since you can talent Force Leap (Charge) to have a 0 Distance Minimum. If we had DPS meters I might could offer a + or - in the group damage department.

PvP: Okay, on paper Combat has WAY more PvP oriented tools. But the Watchman toolbox just works better. I don't know how...but it does. In Warzones I am a virtual powerhouse usually topping the total damage done and having very few deaths. By combo'ing Guarded By the Force (99% Damage Reduction) with Zen (All DoTs crit) and Watchman DoTs (all crit DoTs heal you for 2% of health), I can stand and bang for a good while. And by using Force Camoflauge to allow for 4 sec of stealth I can usually sneak to a Health Boost and get back into the fray.

Overall: I am very happy with the class right now. I do miss not having a Force Push like the Guardian does, or virtually any long range attack (the Sentinel's Saber Toss abilities are all 10m Range). But by swapping specs and keeping gear up to date, I am definitely back to liking this class.

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
I'vbe really been enjoying the watchman class since it started. I never tried combat.. didn't seem all that excitign to me. haivng to keep my dots up via saber overload and catuerize was fun micromanaging.a nd ocne they start healing its awesome. but things still hurt.
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »
I'm leveling a Sith Marauder right now, which is the Imperial mirror of the Sentinel. So this is sort of like a Round 2 for me, and I am using what I have learned from my first play through as a Sentinel. Some leveling tips:

-Spec Watchmen (DoT Spec).

-Use Zen liberally for damage/healing boost.

-Upgrading Mods with Planet Commendation Mods as soon as available (priority for Hilt/Armor Plating first).

-Upgrading Gear via GTN with Blue Quality Gear if affordable.

-Upgrading Companion Gear Slots regularly.

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
Just use Zen when ever it pops up.. its really worth it. and once you get later into the watchman tree centering builds so fast you can use it 2 or 3 times if your fighting say an elite gold star solo.
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.