Author Topic: Recruitment questions  (Read 1745 times)

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
Recruitment questions
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
During one of the open beta weekends, my son and I met up with a fairly likeable person who ran through CoS with us.  We ended up questing together, all the way through the end of story on Tython.  We traded email addresses.

At first, it was sounding like he just wanted to roll on my server and be a freelance healer-for-hire, but now he's expressed an interest in joining our guild, possibly with a friend (who I haven't met and cannot vouch for yet.)  Does SM have a policy with regard to new recruits; e.g., interview, probationary period?  Should I send them to the Introductions forum to introduce themselves?
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: Recruitment questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
This is a good question. I think the answer partly depends on what are the benefits of being in a SWTOR guild. I know there's a separate guild channel. Is there a guild bank? A guild hall? Guild-only benefits like custom spaceships? Or is it purely social?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
Wild Hunt had rules that...  didn't work for me.  I'll skip over them, since I don't think it adds much, and I don't want to be That Guy that harshes on his former guild.  (Besides, I like WH people.  :)  )

WIP had an interesting policy:
* Abbi (guildmaster) gets infinite invites.
* Everyone at Grr membership get 2 invites.  These people will come in as Mini-Grrs.  They are, except for having invites, full-fledged members.
* At Abbi's discretion, Mini-Grrs may get promoted to Grrs, in which case, they get 2 invites.
* Everyone may get additional invites, but this is very rare.  (I don't think that ever happened.)

This worked out quite well, I think.  You either directly invited someone ("hey, this person is cool, and I'll spend one of my limited resources on it"), or you convinced someone else to do that ("Hey, Mary, do you want to spend an invite on grabbing Joe?", or you could try to convince Abbi).

So there were multiple routes into the guild, including multiple fast routes, of which you had more-or-less complete agency over one of them (Abbi could veto invites, but this never came up, because we were not idiots).  Some people spent their invites casually; others hoarded them.  (Me, I never ended up inviting anyone, but then again, I hate strangers, so go figure.)  The nice thing is, you set the price for your own invites, rather than someone else setting that price.  If you wanted to invite your cat sitter's boyfriend's orthodontist's uncle who only played at the same times you did and never participated in guild stuff or even guild chat: sure, no problem, that was 100% okay.

It also had the boon/curse of having a single benevolent dictator.  That requires the right personality type, and the advantage there is that it's harder to have the guild splinter into multiple personality factions.  The disadvantage is that the benevolent dictator may not agree with you.  Plus, the benevolent dictator may have to put up with whining, and is the go-to person for nudging or smacking people.

---

All that said, I'm not sure how active I'll be after, oh, six months, so it feels a bit weird to suggest a system for something I won't be heavily involved in after a year.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
I am open to letting non-Cupcakers in the guild so long as it is ok to boot em if they don't work out. I would like to be open to meeting new people.
The only guild rules we have so far are.

1) No poopy heads
2) Relax and have fun

Everyone in Shattered Moon in coming together from a social stand point and may not have the same end game goals. Gwyd and I may end up raiding. Vylin and Gellin may end up PVPing more. It is all good.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:35:34 AM »
Vylin and Gellin will end up PVPing more. It is all good.

Fixed.  ;)
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:51 AM »
Shattered Moon has traditionally been an over-18 guild because under-18s don't seem to work out. I'm not sure if that's a rule we'd wish to propagate, but the under-18 crowd gets quickly shocked and dismayed when Avi complains about being a mother and what her kids did today.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Hjorolf

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »
I don't see a lot of need for mechanisms to prevent not-stupid people from being stupid, so I'm fine with something simple like free invites and a probationary membership with limited banking and no invites. Once they've been around long enough that someone says "wait wait what, you're still a prospective?" they get promoted. If we want to say "please don't do any nontrivial invites out of prime time when you can throw the name around guild chat" that's good too.

Over-18 seems like a good idea to me too. I hate to turn away people who aren't the kind of dick I also wasn't when I was that age, but meh, that's life. (Is there a way of verifying age anyway?)

I think it's early to worry about "we want to bring Joe Raider into the guild to raid with us; he's not a dick but not a great social fit either". I doubt the game will have stupid requirements that would require Joe to be in the guild.

edit: grammar fail
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:11:20 PM by Hjorolf »

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
Oh yes 18+, WoW shattered Moon is 18+
Yea, please don't just invite some guy you just met who may be nice, unless I can set up ranks for "try outs membership." Make sure you run with them a few times and know they wont be a dumb ass. ;p

I hate being too strict with the rules, cause I don't want to turn away potential cool prospects. It is why WoW Shattered Moon remains so tiny. We only invite people we really know and are comfortable with. But if we make a trial membership rank that would be cool. Give them a week or so, so long as they sign in and ask if anyone has any problems with said new member.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
Over-18 seems like a good idea to me too. I hate to turn away people who aren't the kind of dick I also wasn't when I was that age, but meh, that's life. (Is there a way of verifying age anyway?)

In my (cynical) experience, the litmus test is whether they ever say 'that's so gay'.

;)
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
I'm totally OK with a probationary/tryout rank, assuming that we can set something like that up.  Rashaverak doesn't strike me as a troublemaker, but he did ask about a friend who, as I mentioned previously, I've had no contact with.
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Razov

• MKFL
  • Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
Those sounds like decent enough rules to me  as well.
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some gnomes aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some gnomes just want to watch the world burn.

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
Vylin and Gellin will end up PVPing more. It is all good.

Fixed.  ;)
Hahaha. Yeahhh. My final decision is already being finalized based on PVP videos and my limited experience with classes :D.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).