Author Topic: Crafting (aka Crew Skills)  (Read 1891 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
Crafting (aka Crew Skills)
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »
I'm duplicating torhead.com here, but I haven't seen this executive summary:

1.  You can only have 1 crafting skill.
2.  Skills come in recommended groupings.

Gathering Crafting Mission
Scavenging ArmormechUnderworld Trading
Scavenging ArmstechInvestigation
Archaeology ArtificeTreasure Hunting
Bioanalysis Biochem Diplomacy
Scavenging CybertechUnderworld Trading
Archaeology SynthweavingUnderworld Trading
Slicing All no recommendation

Quick summary.  (G) = Gathering, (C) = Crafting, (M) = Mission:
(G) Archaeology the ability to seek out imbued items like Lightsaber crystals and ancient artifacts
(G) Bioanalysis   the practice of collecting genetic material from creatures and plants
(G) Scavenging   the art of recovering useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology   
(G) Slicing   a skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics
(C) Armormech   the ability to work with hard metals and electronic shielding to construct all types of personal armor
(C) Armstech   the skill of constructing blasters, blaster rifles and upgrades            
(C) Artifice   the delicate work of constructing Jedi and Sith artifacts            
(C) Biochem   the engineering of performance-enhancing chemical serums and biological implants            
(C) Cybertech the technical expertise to construct gadgets and components for Droids and high-tech armors            
(C) Synthweaving the art of creating lighter outfits and armors that are imbued with supernatural qualities            
(M) Diplomacy the art of conducting and managing negotiations            
(M) Investigation the skill of examining evidence and following clues to discover valuable secrets            
(M) Treasure Hunting the ability to track down and recover valuable items by investigating a series of clues            
(M) Underworld Trading expertise in the trading of illegal goods and services
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:36:13 PM by Aviel »
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Gellin

• Master Waffler
  • CotRR Moderator
Re: Crafting (aka Crew Skills)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
Thanks Thana! This clarified a lot for me actually.
Current addictions ... Bioshock Infinite, Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 3 (Single and Multiplayer).

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
If you look at the codex entry for each skill (talk to the vendor to get the codex update), each skill recommends the other two skill to go with it. I found this very helpful.

I got two toons to the low teens. On my trouper I picked up Cybertech, Scavenging (there are lots of dead droids to gather!) and Underworld Trading. They work perfectly together so far.

On my Sith Warrior, I got Artifice, Archaeology (there are nodes to collect in non-city areas) and Treasure Hunting. They also worked nicely together.

For the gathering and mission skills, you send your companion off to do 3 to 6 minute missions to collect raw good. The missions cost ~90 to 270 credits each. For crafting, items take a minute to craft at low levels but the time does start increasing - the skill 40 items took 1:19 to craft. Your companion also does this and you can cue up five items to craft at a time.

The one drawback to this is that there are some conversations that require your companion (usually just the class storyline ones) and you need to work around that. Otherwise you can be off doing quests while your companion crafts! I am liking this part very much so far! :)
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:33:53 AM »
It seemed obvious that you could queue crafting, but I couldn't figure out what combination of mouseclicks to do -- how'd you do that?
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:28:59 AM »
It seemed obvious that you could queue crafting, but I couldn't figure out what combination of mouseclicks to do -- how'd you do that?
For me, the CRAFT button did not grey out, provided I had enough raw materials in my inventory, until the queue was full. Once an item had completed, I could go back to the crafting dialog box and add another item to the end of the queue. The queue shows up as slightly smaller icons than the item being worked on in the crew skills dialog next to my companions portrait. IIRC, I was able to remove queued items from there.

You cannot queue missions for Gathering and Mission skills which would have been nice.
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
This article http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/19800-guide-choosing-crew-skills has a detail buried in it that I hadn't heard of before: Diplomacy can affect your LS/DS points.  Innnnteresting.

Azorana

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:56:49 AM »
I noticed with diplomacy that you can pick your missions based on LS/DS points (it has an icon notifying which way it leans when you chose, as well as what type of reward to expect i.e. companion gift, medical supply, etc.)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »
Biochem can make tradeable healing packs that when they heal, heal both you and your companion at the same time. 

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
Things to know about crafting as a new player (subject to revision):

1. Crafting professions combos are self-sufficient.  If you pick the gathering skill associated with your crafting profession, you'll be able to level to 400 without any other materials.  If you also pick the associated mission skill, you'll be able to make blue and purple items, though it will cost a significant amount of companion time and money to level the mission skill and generate the mats.  You won't find yourself occasionally needing materials from other professions like you would in WoW.

2. At this time, crafting is mostly useful for generating leveling gear for alts, at a significant cost in time and credits.  Biochem is an exception with its personal perks.  Cybertech is also potentially worthwhile due to its ability to make ship upgrades (and maybe also mods; I think it may not be possible to get purple mods from dailies at level cap).

3. Slicing generates a lot of credits, which you'll need for leveling cash sinks (skill training and storage expansions).  Not so much from missions any more, although they're still worth doing, but from gathering lockboxes on the ground.

For a first character, biochem-bioanalysis-slicing is a decent choice.  Another option is slicing plus two gathering professions (expect to be distracted by gathering a *lot* if you do this), although you may not have a lot to do with the gathered mats since people don't need to buy mats off the AH much.  You can switch to a crafting profession at level cap and use your gathered mats to level it very quickly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:56:41 AM by Marco »

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
++Marco
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
If you don't care much about crafting, I don't think anything is lost by just getting Slicing and just doing that until 50.  You'll have lots of cash, and I can see Ghoselle's point that at 50, crafting becomes stupid fast with 5 companions ready to do your bidding.

---

For a first character, biochem-bioanalysis-slicing is a decent choice.

I have yet to dive into bioanalysis/biochem, but this strikes me as very sound advice.

An alternative for first characters if you know you're going to be an altoholic: slicing, treasure hunting, something.  Treasure Hunting generates lockboxes as well, but they tend to have green items rather than cash.  (And even when they have cash, I think they're still a net loss, unlike slicing, which tends to be a net gain.)

So then you're generating tons of greens for the eventual members of your family.  I think if you just automatically vendor the greens, then TH isn't so much of a credit sink as it could be.

Another option is slicing plus two gathering professions (expect to be distracted by gathering a *lot* if you do this), although you may not have a lot to do with the gathered mats since people don't need to buy mats off the AH much.  You can switch to a crafting profession at level cap and use your gathered mats to level it very quickly.

It's worth remembering that WoW doesn't have reverse engineering: you get mats back from shredding your own stuff.  At least for level 1 materials, I only needed about 50 of the two types to be done getting skillups.  This gets harder at higher levels of crafting, as there are more than two material types.

So my point is: I suspect if all you did was gather, you might have a million billion thingies, and once you got around to crafting, you might have 90% of them left.  It's not like levelling WoW blacksmithing where you need 23948723947824 tin to get to iron.