Author Topic: Class Skills/Talents/Etc  (Read 3507 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Class Skills/Talents/Etc
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
Starting a new thread for this stuff.  Here's the link I pasted with the talent trees:

http://biowarefans.com/2011/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-talent-calculators/

One interesting thing is through reading these, there's a bit of insight into the resource models the classes will use.  The jedi/sith guys seem to rely on force and the smuggler/agent guys on energy.  These seem fairly normal.

The smuggler/agent guys both have a lot of abilities reliant on cover.  This is interesting since it means their positioning on a lot of fights will be limited.  It's an interesting idea but I'll be curious how well it plays out.  If things get hardcore and they design a fight without cover I wonder if it means "Bench your agents/smugglers" or make them healers.

In addition a healer with an energy mechanic would be odd.  Healers in WoW are balanced around having a large pool of mana that can run out.  If, say, we had a rogue spec for healing that wouldn't be an issue.  They could heal endlessly but would have limited burst healing compared to mana healers. 

Bounty hunters seem to have a heat mechanic.  It sounds like using abilities generates heat and you'll need to 'vent' heat on occasion to use more abilities.  It feels a bit like a reverse fury mechanic.

Republic Troopers have power cells.  These seem like they'll behave like DK runes just without being segmented into different types.

...note this is all pure assumption here.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: Class Skills/Talents/Etc
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
The videos showed a "portable cover" that the smuggler gets at a higher level.
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:22:22 AM »
The heat mechanic of the Bounty Hunters sounds a lot like Rumble's resource mechanic in League of Legends. Essentially its a robot piloted by a furry little critter, but using abilities causes heat to build up. When it gets within a certain threshold abilities have increased effects, but if the heat meter fills up Rumble overheats and can't use any abilities until he cools off. But if he overheats his melee attacks do increased damage.

So basically, if they are taking a heat resource mechanic like then there are some cool things they can do.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »
Weapon heat is what they did in ME1 and replaced in ME2.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:43 AM »
Is this right?

Tanks:
Jedi Knight - Guardian
Trooper - Vanguard

Edit: might be tanks?
Jedi Consular - Shadow
Jedi Knight - Sentinel

Healers:
Jedi Consular - Sage
Trooper - Commando
Smuggler - Scoundrel

Pure dps:
Smuggler - Gunslinger
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:44:58 AM by thanaomira »
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »
Apparently Sentinel is also a tank, but it doesn't have the "Shield wall + Last Stand" combo the Guardian has.
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
Allegedly the Sentinel can also act as a "Dodge Tank".

Edit: OOPS I meant the Consular-Shadow.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:16:25 AM by Vylin »
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:41:52 AM »
That's really interesting that you have gobs of tank-capable and healer-capable classes.  Smart, really.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
That's really interesting that you have gobs of tank-capable and healer-capable classes.  Smart, really.

"gobs?" there's fewer than WoW of both types, so I woudln't call that gobs :).

2 tank-capable classes (one with 2 tank specs), 3 healer-capable classes. And I'm not sure the Commando can be a full healer, though I haven't been keeping up on skills.
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:52 AM »
Hmm, perusing the SWTOR forums, people are saying that Jedi Consular - Shadow is also a tank.

This is tricky for someone who likes to play around with all the tanking and healing types.  :)  Well, it looks like you need 5 characters to cover all the professions, so whatever, good excuse to roll more chars.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »
Hmm, perusing the SWTOR forums, people are saying that Jedi Consular - Shadow is also a tank.

This is tricky for someone who likes to play around with all the tanking and healing types.  :)  Well, it looks like you need 5 characters to cover all the professions, so whatever, good excuse to roll more chars.

So want to be a Jedi Counselor healer with chance of tanking ^_^

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
From what I read (forums and class descriptions), the only healers seem to be the Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor.

I'm totally going Consular. A melee AND healing class? Hello!
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
Imperial Agents - Operatives & Smugglers - Scoundrels are the other Non-Jedi healing classes.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »

"gobs?" there's fewer than WoW of both types, so I woudln't call that gobs :).

2 tank-capable classes (one with 2 tank specs), 3 healer-capable classes. And I'm not sure the Commando can be a full healer, though I haven't been keeping up on skills.

Well, it's density of tanks and healers.  There are essentially 8 classes, and it looks like only one pure dps class.  If there's dual-speccing, then at least you have the possibility of putting together a team, whereas in WoW, if you have 2 mages, a rogue, and a warlock, you're DOA.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
Has anyone found a wiki or wowhead equivalent for SWTOR?  (Or heck, an mmo-c.)

I was rather surprised at the lack of quality info for LOTRO when I started playing a few months ago.