Author Topic: Wildstar  (Read 9450 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Re: Wildstar
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
For such a relatively unknown MMO this seems like an awful pricing scheme for them.  I expected them to go the GW2 route of 50-60 bucks for the game, no subscription fee.  This seems pretty steep.  To be honest they probably lost a sale from me because of this.

I'd be totally down with the GW2 model.  As it stands I'll probably wait until they inevitably change their pricing scheme. (Based on how this game is, I'd wager they strip the front loaded cost and keep the weird hybrid of sub fee/EVE in game purchasable game time)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
Eh I'm a wait and see person. I tend to think people would have exploded with opinions regardless of what the business model announcement ended up being just because it was unknown for so long. As Gaffney pointed out in another interview regardless of what they pick someone is going to love them for it and someone is going to think it means they're doomed.

As for the delay they've said from the beginning that they'll launch when the game is done. Combined with the recent state of the beta info I take it more that they learned a lot from beta and want to make sure they really take that feedback into consideration, which I think is something you'd actually want to happen.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »
Interesting that TESO announced they're going with a subscription as well. That's 3 out of 4 of the more anticipated upcoming mmos going subscription. (TESO, Wildstar, FFXIV, EQNext) I'm actually pretty surprised by that.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »
I am, and I'm not. The most sales you can make at once will be at launch when your product is new and fresh. I don't doubt that they all plan to go F2P within a year, but want to milk the hype-cow as much as possible.

Again, and I can not say this enough, I really like the way TSW's current model (and DCUO as well). I would like to pay for the game (B2P), then purchase story content as DLC when its released.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Help me out here: the GW2 model assumes that 90%? 95%? 99%? of your players play for free, while the other are going gangbusters on paying, right?  I'm wondering what that percentage is.

What I find odd about GW2 is that, since I'm used to WoW, I'm already okay with paying (on average) $15/month -- but there's nothing actually worth buying for that, blah blah caveat to me blah blah.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
The F2P/In-app purchase model has changed quite a bit.  IN the old days they assumed it was 90% play for free, 10% buy.  However there's been a lot of experimenting in the kinds of items and pricing schemes.  Some create items that are so incredibly cheap to try to get the "I'll never pay real money for something in a video game" crowd over the hump.  A lot of people say that but when they see the 200% xp bonus buff for a buck?  A lot of people start to cough up a buck or two.

There's also the model of "Offer a cool cosmetic item that's super expensive"  This is the WoW model.  There have been multiple pets that are in the 20 dollar range.  They don't need to sell too much but when they do sell one, they get a ton of money.  This is more the "Only 5-10% of players will buy this" thing.  They're finding that 5-10% is less concerned with price, whereas 90-95% is.

GW2 isn't 100% the F2P model since you still need to pay 60 bucks to get in the door.  SW:TOR and other F2P you don't even need that. You can just download the thing and start playing.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it does.  I can see the side of players that are sick of the piles of F2P trash out there and see 'it costs money!' as a sign of "This game isn't going in the bargain bin. We're confident it can stand on its own"  When F2P proved to be a viable model everyone and their mother made one and it became flooded with trash.  Marco mentioned it earlier but for me it really does kinda come down to the end game.  WoW's raiding is something I've not found in any other game.  It's sorta interesting since as I think about it now it's really the only part I enjoy.  I wonder if there would be harm in just allowing a player to plop in at 90 and do that content.  If you love to raid but are 'meh' on the rest the game?  You can't get to the part of the game you actually want to play until you've invested a ton of time into getting a raidable character.

It's something I think about in terms of if any other MMO can woo me away.  Even if Wildstar has an awesome endgame, if I'm not really interested in the path to get there, would I play?  Would it be harmful to the game if that sorta raid style gameplay was available earlier?

Anyway, random musings.  I'll keep an eye on all these.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
Before Josh Allen was hired by Blizzard, he used to comment that some company should make a multiplayer game which is completely about PvE raiding.  Your market would be much smaller (organized raiders are probably less than 10% of WoW's player base) but your costs would also be much lower, and it's an experience you can't get in very many games so there isn't a lot of competition.  You'd potentially get former WoW players who have come to hate the open-world leveling game and just want to raid.

I'm not sure if the idea is really viable, but it would be cool to see someone at least try, instead of just making more AAA MMOs with no endgame which fail in the market.  I think you'd have to give people some kind of solo play experience just so that groups have a pool of players to recruit from.  Maybe reuse the art assets from raids to make Proving Ground/Brawler's Guild-style solo challenges?  I'm not sure.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 04:21:15 AM »
Marco mentioned it earlier but for me it really does kinda come down to the end game.  WoW's raiding is something I've not found in any other game.  It's sorta interesting since as I think about it now it's really the only part I enjoy.

Before Josh Allen was hired by Blizzard, he used to comment that some company should make a multiplayer game which is completely about PvE raiding.  Your market would be much smaller (organized raiders are probably less than 10% of WoW's player base) but your costs would also be much lower, and it's an experience you can't get in very many games so there isn't a lot of competition.  You'd potentially get former WoW players who have come to hate the open-world leveling game and just want to raid.

I'm not sure if the idea is really viable, but it would be cool to see someone at least try, instead of just making more AAA MMOs with no endgame which fail in the market.  I think you'd have to give people some kind of solo play experience just so that groups have a pool of players to recruit from.  Maybe reuse the art assets from raids to make Proving Ground/Brawler's Guild-style solo challenges?  I'm not sure.

You know you guys basically just described Rift right? Of course, its F2P now, but it was releasing Raid content at break-neck speeds and was focused almost purely on PvE Raid content as its realm of interest. They have PvP, but its crappy and they really don't make a lot of excuses for it since PvE Raiding is their focus. I wouldn't call it a failure, it still held onto a decent amount of subs for a good long while. But it was never successful in pulling raiders away from WoW like it had hoped.

I still contend that WoW's biggest strengths are its longevity and the social ties within the game rather than its actual gameplay elements. Any MMO that comes out has to contend with that, and that's something no game can come pre-packaged with.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
Nah, Rift still had the big open world leveling game.  I think that's a pretty huge investment.  Also crafting, holiday events, etc..  The game I'm conceiving of isn't really an MMO at all (or would call itself an MMO but would be lying, like Rusty Hearts); all it would have is instanced content.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
Nah, Rift still had the big open world leveling game.  I think that's a pretty huge investment.  Also crafting, holiday events, etc..  The game I'm conceiving of isn't really an MMO at all (or would call itself an MMO but would be lying, like Rusty Hearts); all it would have is instanced content.

Oh I see what you mean. Something like Path of Exile's late game where you and some friends get together and queue up a randomized (or potentially preset) dungeon to fight through? Just minus the leveling thing.

See I can get behind that. The whole leveling system in an MMO is severely dated. I can understand dishing out a few class abilities at a time while you acclimate to the game, but I would really like to see something like Rift's Planar Attunement system applied in a way people can jump in and play, and be relatively at the same power level while at the same time rewarding long-time players with the most minute of stat boosts.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Amusingly, the Syndicate shooter co-op was something like this; all dungeons, all the time. The leveling was built-in (and there were severe power differences between new players and max level players, not like what you suggest). But there was trash, and bosses, and enemies scaling to number of players, and loot-ish things.

But it was shooting, which is not the third-person actiony button-pressy thing that most MMOs are.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
So Wildstar is getting ready to go into their next beta phase and so they're ramping up their info sharing for the next few weeks.

The next six weeks will be sharing class info starting this week with Warrior including a new devspeak released Wednesday devoted to the warrior class, an AMA on reddit Thurs? with the class devs and a livestream on twitch Saturday to show off warrior gameplay in action as well as debuting some of the changes they made in response to the earlier beta phases.

AND if you're been following the devspeak videos you're familiar with their tradition of hiding comments and other fun things in the disclaimer. This week included a set of clues that everyone is furiously trying to decode.

new updated warrior page and video: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/warrior.php

Disclaimer puzzle: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/this-weeks-warrior-wildstar-devspeak-clues.6691/

Fun stuff!

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
Puzzle cracked! It lead to this (worth taking a look!)

http://youtu.be/fotT6iVi-cg

I love those guys.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
Wait...you can pull tricks on the Hoverboard? SSX: Wildstar???

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

New classes overview flick: http://youtu.be/hCaIxmffFWY

New class reveal, Medic: http://youtu.be/HJieCQEN5ko