Author Topic: Wildstar  (Read 9117 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Wildstar
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
Has anyone else been watching the information on this mmo unfold? It looks potentially awesome and I love the art style. 

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Eointhas

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Wildstar
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
This one lost me at purple bunny people.......

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
This one gained me at purple bunny people

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
I think we've found Gigit's next MMO.

Kudos to their web site for using HTML 5 video (or at least, I assume so, since the video came up without Flash).  Also, the video is pretty entertaining even if you disregard that it's advertising a game.

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
I signed up for the beta as soon as that video finished  ;D

Eointhas

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
It actually looked pretty cool, bunnie people aside.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »
Oo PURPLE! I liked the bunny girl and the art style. That was a cool video, even without sound. Stupid broken plug for my speakers...

Olli

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
I played this at PAX last weekend. It was pretty fun. I played as the purple bunny girl race, which only had one playable class in the demo, which was a spellcasting class called an Esper - it seemed like I built combo points (transferable between mobs) by casting a primary nuke, then had some finisher choices and a personal shield - at least those were my starter abilities. One noticeable difference from WoW combat is that when I saw an enemy cast a spell at me, I could double tap a specific key to dodge out of the way (a visual backwards leap like Disengage), which would gain me an XP bonus if I succeeded and get me knocked down if I didn't time it right. There were also a choice of 4 paths (separate from race/class) that affect what secondary missions you get - they only had Explorer (placing beacons?) and Soldier (defending a spot from waves of mobs) up in the demo, and Explorer's starting mission led us up a hill with a giant avalanche that overheated the video cards that they hadn't gotten to test it on, so we had to restart the demo twice before giving up and playing Soldier so our machine wouldn't hard reboot. (That's just a funny story rather than a dig at the game - they were very apologetic, said it was the only bug, only happened 10% of the time, etc.)

The art style is definitely really fun. I did not see a lot to make me feel like it was a huge improvement on WoW or anything, but I only did the first few levels of questing and didn't get to see other components of the game or the nuances of classes at endgame or anything like that. Nor did I get to get into the non-fighting path choices, which seem like they could be promising.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »
This one lost me at purple bunny people.......

Wait, what, what?  *runs to website*

Wait wait.  Purple bunny mages?!?  *signs up for beta*

Now I really gotta figure out how to get boot camp working on my Mac.

Although I sorta hope that the purple bunny mages have better clothing options than that.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
I have to agree with some of those youtube comments. I wouldn't mind seeing this as a syndicated animated short. The action and humor seem to be there to make for an entertaining 30min adventure.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Carbine has been releasing a series of "DevSpeak" videos about different aspects of the game.  The latest one is about aiming:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/videos/devspeak/#video-1665

It's not as funny as some of the previous videos, but it's probably the most revealing as far as what core gameplay will be like.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
The ending is both wonderful and awful, if you don't know why it happened they helpfully provided a link to the backstory. Stephan Frost is a bad, bad, man. (also it's worth stepping through the beginning to read the disclaimers on all the videos)

This week's wildstar wednesday also showed examples of their housing in action, though I wish they had posted more of the screenshots. The community manager took over 400 of them when they were touring the houses for the contest.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/the_business_model_of_wildstar.php

The Wildstar business model appears to be a $60 box + $15/mo sub (with discounts for longer sub intervals), but months of subscription time are transferrable in-game via an item called a credd.  This gives people a way to effectively buy gold (buy a credd for $20 and sell it in game), or to play for less money if they can accumulate enough gold to buy credd.  I think Eve has a similar model.

There are a bunch of interviews surrounding this announcement, one of which is here:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-payment-model-q-a-with-jeremy-gaffney/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:49:45 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
So... my gut feeling is that they are doomed.  This is basically a sub model, unless a lot of people buy into the dream that they will get rich enough in-game to play for free.  For everyone who plays a month for free, someone else is paying $35 for that month, so the odds aren't good.

Gaffney's basic philosophy is that a sub game can succeed if it's good enough.  After all, SWTOR sold millions of copies; it only declined because they spent too much of their money on the leveling game and not enough on the endgame.  Right?  But Wildstar doesn't have the IP to drive an initial rush of customers like SWTOR did, and I'm not convinced they can compete with WoW on endgame quality--they have the advantage of a fresh start on the core game, but I doubt they have anything close to the same level of investment.  And even WoW's endgame isn't all that successful at retaining customers; the reason we're seeing recent sub decline in WoW isn't an issue of retention so much as the game's dwindling ability to attract new players.

(Off-topic, but something I would dearly love to see: a graph of the total number of people who have ever paid for WoW for at least N months, for values of N from 1 to "since launch".  I suspect that the number for N = 1 is shockingly large and the number for N = 24 is shockingly small.)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
Forums across the interwebs are exploding over this. This is probably going to cause the biggest backlash since the XBONE...except like, a smaller audience since not a tremendous amount of people are "Waiting on Wildstar".

Still though, right now things are not looking good. Word of mouth is that the recent delays in Wildstar's schedule are due to having to redesign entire areas due to them simply not being "fun". The game is still under NDA, so these impressions come rather indirectly. Take it with a grain of salt.

Based on forum posters, I would say 90% are really disappointed with this decision and 10% are super happy.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori