Author Topic: 4.3.x stuff  (Read 22691 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
4.3.x stuff
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
mmo-champion has a translation of a Tom Chilton interview from a German gaming site, which reveals some information about 4.3.  I'd take this with a grain of salt, since the information here has been translated from English to German to English (unless Tom Chilton speaks German).

Surprisingly, 4.3 will contain the Deathwing raid, making it probably the last major content patch of Cataclysm.  (That probably means we can expect an announcement of the next expansion at Blizzcon in October.)  That will make this the first expansion with only three tiers of raiding.  Also:

* Three new 5-mans (original, not revamped).
* Transmogrification lets you make one piece of armor look like another, providing appearance tab functionality.
* Void Storage sounds like it's targeted at saving old equipment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:30:35 AM by Marco »

Stronghold

• Cupcakes Member
Re: 4.3.x stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:21 AM »
Good news!  My T1 and T2 sets are still taking up 16 slots in my bank as well as Maladath, Ashkandi, etc...

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »
Mists of Pandaran in second quarter 2012?

The appearance tab with the use of Transmogrification is interesting because that has been suggested for years and years by the players, but repeatedly the Devs have said they do NOT want to include this feature because they want you to know a player's strength based on how they look. I wonder what caused this sudden change of heart?
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »
The appearance tab with the use of Transmogrification is interesting because that has been suggested for years and years by the players, but repeatedly the Devs have said they do NOT want to include this feature because they want you to know a player's strength based on how they look. I wonder what caused this sudden change of heart?

Even assuming the information is true--I still have my doubts--I think it's just an issue of trying to control the tides by whipping the sea, and Blizzard may have realized it's a losing battle. Players want more control over how their toons look, and other MMOs are offering that sort of customization.  As a design philosophy Blizzard may want to "judge a player's strength based on their look," though in reality I think they just don't want to lose the ability to merely re-color old models, but design philosophies have to change to fit current expectations and to deal with competition.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
I hate the armor and tier thing. I want to see people in the new shit. I don't want every Paladin to be wearing a god-awful Judgement skirt.
o/\o

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »
I hate the armor and tier thing. I want to see people in the new shit. I don't want every Paladin to be wearing a god-awful Judgement skirt.

F THAT MAN! You are about to bear witness to the return of the BANNANA SHOULDERS!  ;D
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
Oooh.  I wonder if it's possible to assemble a set of beaststalker on Dogwood?

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »
they want you to know a player's strength based on how they look

My suspicion is that this is for PvP and any PvPer who knows or cares enough to gauge an opponent's strength is already running a mouseover mod that will tell them, yes?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
I imagine you'll still see plenty of people in current tier stuff.  It's a sign of how far you've been and a lot of people will use that.  "Psh, you have judgement shoulders?  I got my T13.  Oh wait you can't transmogrify into that yet since you haven't killed Deathwing.  I'm so sorry"

Part of the strong desire though to go back to older sets I think came when Blizzard had a stretch of designing some fucking godawful armor sets.  I think they've been better in Cataclysm about it but they're limited by their engine in a lot of ways.  They can' make the armor really change appearance that much and some pieces just end up reskinning your character.  Shoulders and helms are among the only pieces that really distinguish how far you've been.  (Blizzard seems to notice this and makes those pieces by boss kill only.  Even though the slot is light on stat points, it's heavy on bragging rights.)

Anyway, I'm meh on the feature.  I honestly like that Blizzard's customization is more limited since it lets them create a more consistent visual atmosphere in the game.  Anytime I play an MMO with balls out customization when I'm walking around their version of Stormwind I see a fucking clown show of awful characters that is completely jarring to the world.

Stronghold

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
Ugh.

Though I think I'll change all of Ed's shields to the Bulwark of Azzinoth.
o/\o

Stronghold

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
Ugh.

Though I think I'll change all of Ed's shields to the Bulwark of Azzinoth.

I like the shield off BQL :)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
Crap, I hope I didn't sell that. I probably did. Oh well.
o/\o

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
Wow, looks like Blizzard is confirming this stuff.  http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2419-Patch-4.3-Updated-Information-Transmogrification-Preview.

Truthfully, I am kind of ecstatic at the idea of fashion-raiding.  I have so many outfits saved in my bank, and now they're useful!  As soon as this is implemented, I'm raiding in my Whitemane costume.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:37:34 AM by Tweed »

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
If I recall Kharvek is about to Transmogrify all his gear into BLOODFANG!  8)