Author Topic: Useful tool: Ask Mr.Robot  (Read 1971 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Useful tool: Ask Mr.Robot
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
Many of you probably already know about this but just in case you don't, Ask Mr. Robot is a gear optimizer. It can be very helpful if you're a little unsure about reforging or gemming or want a clear idea of what upgrades to shoot for.

You can adjust what gear level you want it to optimize for, there are presets for different gemming/reforging approaches and you can modify the stat weights yourself if you have your own approach and want to make sure you're being consistent.

http://www.askmrrobot.com

Skidd

• Adjective Noun Member
Re: Useful tool: Ask Mr.Robot
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »
<3 this site!  I've used it in the past.  While I don't agree with all of the suggestions it gives, it is an excellent tool!   :D

Nmap

• Adjective Noun Raid Leader
  • Bone Thug
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
I do really enjoy the site but I feel a lot of the default stat weights are wrong.  Its great to point you in the right direction though.  I also dont think it properly does trinkets since a lot of those are proc or on use.  Wonderful site to browse gear though.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
you can replace the default weights with your own weights. I was staunchly in favor of doing my own gemming/reforging in my head, but that got stupid overwhelming, so I use Mr. Robot all the time!
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »
The maintainer of that site is active in the e-j community and makes a good attempt to have good default weights, but probably can't keep up with every spec.  There are often other presets you can use.

It likes to settle for being a few points under hit and expertise caps even for specs which want to cap out.  This is correct from an absolute dps perspective, but some people hate missing enough that they'd rather be a few points above cap.

I don't know exactly how it handles soft thresholds.  For Marco, I'd like to be able to tell it that it's worth 500 dps to be at or above 2589 haste rating and then haste becomes the worst secondary stat for a while, but it doesn't seem to be quite that smart.

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
It likes to settle for being a few points under hit and expertise caps even for specs which want to cap out.  This is correct from an absolute dps perspective, but some people hate missing enough that they'd rather be a few points above cap.

Wait, it is?  I always err on the side of being a bare few points over hit cap, but I also was under the impression that it's better to never, ever miss than to have a .01 percent of missing.  However, I am a lawyer because I am terrible at math--am I mistaken?  Should I reforge out that last 48 points of hit to haste and put myself at a hit rating of 16.97%?

Nmap

• Bone Thug
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
you can replace the default weights with your own weights. I was staunchly in favor of doing my own gemming/reforging in my head, but that got stupid overwhelming, so I use Mr. Robot all the time!

Ive noticed this but the rogue community has shadowcraft which is the bomb. The perl reforger is also very efficient.

On the hit cap thing, on sed I generally will not go over the exp soft cap since it is pretty much a hard cap from behind. I dont mind going a little over the spell hit cap since it is still a gain.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:27:53 PM by sedation »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
From the Ask Mr. Robot FAQ:
As for why it is suggesting being slightly under the hit cap: it is a common misconception propagated by many theorycrafters that you must be at or over the hit cap.  Being a little under can often be more optimal.  I usually explain it as follows: you gain nothing special by reaching the hit cap.  You don't get a sudden boost in DPS, it doesn't change the relative worth of any other stats, and so on.  The only significant thing that happens at the hit cap is... hit rating becomes worthless.
Missing does sometimes force you to change your casting plan.  For instance, if I miss an immolate, I'll need to notice and cast it again a spell or two later.  At 16.97% hit that's unlikely to happen more than once per fight, but it's annoying enough that I sacrifice the 5-15 dps to be a few points over the cap rather than a few points under.

If you're 45 points over the cap, there's probably something you could do with reforging to be closer to it.

Deren

• Bacon Bandits Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
For Marco, I'd like to be able to tell it that it's worth 500 dps to be at or above 2589 haste rating and then haste becomes the worst secondary stat for a while, but it doesn't seem to be quite that smart.

It has a soft cap for haste which means you can force the weight before softcap high enough that it worth it. then set a weight so low after soft cap it wont use much after.

It doesn't use Rating for soft cap tho so you have to figure out what % it is.

Nmap

• Bone Thug
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
I forgot to mention there are ask mr robot android, iphone, and ipad apps. Only problem ive noticed is on my ipad there does not seem to be a blood option for my dk. I only see the options for unholy and frost 2h and dw. I think i cost about $2.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
Five year REVIVAL!vival!  (Almost.)

askmrrobot is testing a new simulator, which seems like a potentially cool alternative to simulationcraft.

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2016/06/new-legion-simulator/

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
askmrrobot is attempting to build a distributed computing network (like seti@home) to do a large array of simulations so that they can give players custom stat weights.  It's an interesting idea, although I don't know how well it will pan out (mostly because I don't know how good their in-house simulator is).

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/join-global-network/