Author Topic: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest  (Read 8228 times)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
* AD is now an activated ability, but it's still only able to be used below 35% health. Right now, that seems useless, but maybe there will be more fear of trickle-death rather than instagibbing. means that facerolling tanks will have to actually wake up on hard stuff.

Fixed.  ;)  Me, I think it's a great change.  When tanking as Reonna, my effectiveness correlates directly to how much attention I'm paying, whereas I can just faceroll as Tuzi (and let's not even talk about "map all buttons to my maul/swipe macro" as Gaillardia).

Facerolling or no, there are plenty of times when I go from 40% health (unable to use AD) to 0% health (AD proc) in 1 or 2 swings. Less so with the ICC buff nowadays, but still.
o/\o

samercyn

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
Keep in mind that's something that (presumably) will be going away in Cata.  Tanks will have gigantic health pools and they are (again presumably) shifting away from raid bosses being able to two shot tanks from full health.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
Keep in mind that's something that (presumably) will be going away in Cata.

This.  Compare new talents to new content.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
Keep in mind that's something that (presumably) will be going away in Cata.

This.  Compare new talents to new content.  :)

Hmm...

* AD is now an activated ability, but it's still only able to be used below 35% health. Right now, that seems useless, but maybe there will be more fear of trickle-death rather than instagibbing.

So yes, I agree. Paladins are "second to least done" anyway.
o/\o

Malfeetsense

• Case of the Mondays Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Maybe I'm one of those people who just generally fears change but I dont understand why they are retooling the mechanics of classes that were just becoming balanced for 5 levels.(look at what theyre doing to hunters for instance) I have the feeling (based mainly on past experience) that this will all be done with the haste and care of a blind, hyperactive, coke binging, Tasmanian devil in a china shop.
"I didn't grow up in the ocean -- as a matter of fact -- near the ocean -- I grew up in the desert. Therefore, it was a pleasant contrast to see the ocean. And I particularly like it when I'm fishing." --George W. Bush

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
People don't pay $50 plus $15 per month for old games.  Expansions have to feel like a new experience.  Thus, the bias for change.  That doesn't mean they're making these changes for no reason--you can find a decently articulated reason for every major change in Cataclysm.  But it does mean Blizzard will be adventurous with changes happening across an expansion even if they know it will lead to initial balance problems.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
Each expansion has brought tremendous mechanics change to the game. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by them  ;D
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
Maybe I'm one of those people who just generally fears change but I dont understand why they are retooling the mechanics of classes that were just becoming balanced for 5 levels.(look at what theyre doing to hunters for instance) I have the feeling (based mainly on past experience) that this will all be done with the haste and care of a blind, hyperactive, coke binging, Tasmanian devil in a china shop.

You don't keep 11 million subcribers across 2 expansions by being idiots. :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »
31 talents is WAY better from a new player's perspective, in my opinion. Also, if there are no more ranks of spells, then spreading out talents in the levels you're not learning new spells at gives each level the feeling that you're getting something new.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »
I was really excited for the new Eye for an Eye, but apparently it's getting the axe. boo.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
So, the new Ardent Defender confuses me. From the wording, it looks like you pop it every 3 minutes, and it heals you when you die. No duration. No mention of charges. I'm assuming it has 1 charge, but what's the duration on that?

Also, Divine Protection is down to a 1 minute CD and down to 20% damage reduction. Like a Shield Block rather than an "oh shit." Ardent Defender has possibly become our "oh shit" button.

Finally, though it is severely subject to change, our Prot tree is tight. I came up with a 31-point base*, which picks up the most definitive talents and leaves 10 points for choices. Kind of like what they intended...

Our rotation is so god damned confusing, though. People describe it as Wrath Ret, which does not interest me at all.

*Apparently they're getting rid of Guarded by the Light, since we will have Judgements granting us 40% of base mana over 10s, so we'll be regenning 4% of our base mana every second. This in conjunction with Sanctuary and DP every 60 seconds should be more than enough mana regen, apparently.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:12:08 PM by Edalia »
o/\o

samercyn

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
I think in its current form.. that new level 85 spell Guardian of Ancient Kings will function as a prot paladin's new shield wall.  Divine prot is basically a barkskin.  Holy shield will function more like shield block but will require holy power to activate.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »
Played Ed on the 4.0.1 PTR for a bit last night.

PROs:

- I like having some GCDs open finally.
- Grand Crusader procs are fun (reset CD on Avenger's Shield with HPG), and the base UI Power Auras/Glowy hotkeys are actually functional.
- Holy Power is an interesting thing to watch for, though it's not surprising at all like it is for Ret.
- At my 80 gear level, Crusader Strike is useless with a tanking weapon, though I haven't tested it with my [wow]gutbuster[/wow] yet. HotR does only 46% weapon damage, but since it's Holy damage, it hits harder than CS.
- Yay to no more HS maintenance.
- 30y Judgements are phenomenal. Especially after a damage-less HoR.

CONs:

- I died in HoR. Wearing full ICC 25 gear. Having no 50% reduction CD was awful, and even all my dodge/parry couldn't save me. The new 20% CDs aren't cutting it.
- I need mods so bad. I guess the CON part is that the base UI is improving, but still not enough.
- I was excited about the new Guarded By the Light, but Word of Glory's heal is so wimpy that the shield isn't going to be terribly useful. ShotR (new consistent naming scheme!) is also pretty important for most short fights, I'll see if on a long boss fight I'll have time to weave a different HP move in.
-STILL NO OFF GCD INTERRUPT LJSHDFLJBWERLJBHNW
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »
- I died in HoR. Wearing full ICC 25 gear.
Dungeon and raid mobs are doing too much damage on the PTR right now, or were as of a day or two ago.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26725676521/icc-10-was-overkill-literally/

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:13 AM »
- I died in HoR. Wearing full ICC 25 gear.
Dungeon and raid mobs are doing too much damage on the PTR right now, or were as of a day or two ago.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26725676521/icc-10-was-overkill-literally/

yeah, I read that, but it was way worse than I thought it would be. Couple that with a healer new to the new buttons and...oy.

I don't think it's gear, since I was mostly having trouble while stunned. I have decent enough avoidance/block, it seems.
o/\o