Author Topic: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest  (Read 8230 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23:20 AM »
In heroics, I routinely am having aggro ripped off of me.  It's hard to tell what's Idiot DPS and what's Idiot Me, though.

I know I have RF up (I have a poweraura setting for it).  I'm using BoSanc + SoV.  Typically, it's hunters -- 2k dps hunters -- that rip stuff off of me.  It's the *hunter*, not the *pet*, which is why I'm so confused, because if it were the pet, then I'd wonder if the pet had Taunt on.

Any ideas?

http://armorylite.com/us/earthen+ring/tuzi

Also, I'm missing a major glyph and 3 minors.  Any suggestions?  (I have SoV and RD.)  I'm guessing HotR, since more threat = good.  For minors, I don't have a clue what to get.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Vienne

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »
Typically, it's hunters -- 2k dps hunters -- that rip stuff off of me.  It's the *hunter*, not the *pet*, which is why I'm so confused, because if it were the pet, then I'd wonder if the pet had Taunt on.

Any ideas?

Distracting shot would be my guess.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:20 AM »
Arghhh hunters HAVE a taunt?

Why?!?

Okay, I have to go soak my tears in a bowl full of carrots now.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
Far be it for me to disagree with Vienne, but I find it very odd that a hunter would be using Distracting Shot in a heroic these days. The one legitimate scenario that comes to mind is to DS a mob away from the pack, and into an ice trap.

But. lolCCwut?

Is the hunter ripping aggro from your primary target? Or one of the secondary ones? Pulling aggro at the beginning, or after you've engaged? Do you know whether the hunter is Volleying at the time?

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 05:29:07 AM »
Re: Glyphs–I'd go with HotR for heroics, though Divine Plea is the real front runner for general tanking.

I can't comment on your armorylite, since you seem to be in Holy gear. What's your Expertise and Hit in tanking gear? now ShoRand HotR can be parried/dodged, so expertise is relatively important again. you only need about 95 rating to get to 26 with Glyph of SoV, though.
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
Force a reload in armorylite; that should work.  Actually, I just did that, so maybe just refresh your browser's cache.  :)

151 hit, 169 exp rating.

Distracting Shot feels right: it's like the hunter did a taunt, not ripped aggro.  I have a mod that colors the nameplates of the mobs, so I can see when I'm losing threat.  In this case, the mob goes from "I've got this locked down" to "it's red and sprinting for the hunter" without first going through the grey "hey, you may want to build more threat on this guy".

My "Hi, could I be more of an elitist ass, please?" thought is that it's a hunter who's hitting buttons whenever they are lit up.  I do tend to notice it only happens on low (sub-3k) dps hunters.

Now I want at mod that lets me know if someone has used a Taunt ability.  Kinda like RankWatch, except that it lets me know "so-and-so would like to facetank this mob for me, so please don't spoil their fun".

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »
your hit is too low and your expertise is WAY HIGH!

Also, why don't you have Touched by the Light? That is point-for-point the second best threat/damage talent. There's no reason not to. 3/3 TbtL is worth much more than 3 points in Seals of the Pure.

Actually, your spec is all wonky. Rank 5 Benediction is at least 4 points that are better spent elsewhere.

Here's the canonical base spec, which has all the most effective threat and survival talents. If you want more threat/damage, you can go deeper into Ret to pick up Crusade. There aren't a lot more choices for survival, but you can always pad your healers' overheal numbers with Divinity, or pick up Vindication (the tooltip is misleading-it scales with level and does a full improved Demo Shout at 2/2). If you feel you're running dry on mana, you can go with 2/2 Spiritual Attunement.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:41:15 AM by Edalia »
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:44:20 AM »
Actually, I'm wrong about Hit. I forgot that the 82 cap for draenei is around 151 (143 I believe?). Sorry!
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:29 AM »
Well, my gear is "gobble up anything that replaces this blue or green gear".  :)  The dps ring will eventually get replaced by the 264 pvp one, so that's 40 exp that'll get chucked.

Oh hey, my spec -is- twonky.  (What the devil am I doing with 4 points in Holy?  Okay, this is just weird.)  Then again, I had, uh, only noticed this morning I hadn't spent the last 2 points.  So maybe this isn't surprising.  :p

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
Oh hey, my spec -is- twonky.  (What the devil am I doing with 4 points in Holy?  Okay, this is just weird.)  Then again, I had, uh, only noticed this morning I hadn't spent the last 2 points.  So maybe this isn't surprising.  :p

At least the 4 points in holy are in a useful tanking talent :).

right now, you've got 26 Expertise, so you can totally swap out glyph of SoV. however, the extra 10 expertise is 2.5% fewer parries, which you still have to worry about.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
If your spec is Twonky, you aren't getting anywhere.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=25830
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »
Cataclysm 31-point talent trees have been spoiled, so I'm rezzing the thread!

TYPICAL DISCLAIMER ABOUT SPOILERS AND HOW SUBJECT EVERYTHING IS TO CHANGE-ESPECIALLY PALADIN STUFF-APPLIES

First:

* Avenger's Shield is our "flagship" ability now-the one we get at level 10.

* Our baseline bonus is Touched By the Light, also at level 10. Also, we get the same Vengeance bonus all tanks are getting (reactive damage bonus that scales with health).

* Our Mastery of Increased Block Chance is nowhere to be seen on MMO-Champ.

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=.9mn.paladin

General talent changes:

* AD is now an activated ability, but it's still only able to be used below 35% health. Right now, that seems useless, but maybe there will be more fear of trickle-death rather than instagibbing.

* Holy Shield is no longer an active skill-the 3-point talent gives 6% crit reduction and does Holy damage on a block.

* Divine Protection is now a 5-minute CD, but can be reduced to 2min with talents.

* JoW removed, JoL and JoJ rolled into Judgement. This may make the second point in SA necessary.

* Divine Plea will no longer be "always on," but you can talent it to reduce its CD to 0.

* Sanctuary is no longer a blessing, but rather a 3% damage reduction for the Paladin with the mana regain. This makes loads of sense to me.

* Eye for an Eye now has a 10% chance when you are hit to cause you to strike with Judgement. This scales inversely with aviodance, but it could be useful and fun.

Single-target:

* Crusader Strike will become one of our bread and butter skills, with a CD reduced by 4 seconds and damage increased by 100% through talents.

* Exorcism can become instant-cast, but still a 10s CD (down from 15s).

* ShoR now scales 100% with AP (now that BV is gone). There are no talents that buff it.

Multi-target:

* Consecration is now a 15-second duration. Talents can up it to a 45-second duration. This is...ridiculous. It seems like the fight will have moved on by then :).

* No talents for Blinding Shield, but I'm sure it will be used in the rotation.

* Seal of Command is no longer available-the talent to make Seal of Righteousness into Seal of Cleave is too deep in Ret.

I am excite!
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:52 AM »
Haha, also, if Divine Plea's CD is reduced to 0, then our 4-piece T10 becomes "Increases your chance to dodge by 12%."
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »
Yeah... I'd expect that to turn into points of dodge combat rating, which will scale down by about 5x on the way to 85.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
* AD is now an activated ability, but it's still only able to be used below 35% health. Right now, that seems useless, but maybe there will be more fear of trickle-death rather than instagibbing. means that facerolling tanks will have to actually wake up on hard stuff.

Fixed.  ;)  Me, I think it's a great change.  When tanking as Reonna, my effectiveness correlates directly to how much attention I'm paying, whereas I can just faceroll as Tuzi (and let's not even talk about "map all buttons to my maul/swipe macro" as Gaillardia).