Author Topic: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest  (Read 7126 times)

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
[Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
So, how bout that 4 piece T10 bonus?

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: [Prot Paladin] Ongoing gabfest
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:08 PM »
Haven't had a chance to try it out. Most people are all "bleh" about it until you get to Hard Modes. The extra armor should be awesome, though, since I've got a bunch of health already.

I'm thinking maybe I should gem for more def, then worry about more HP if it becomes a problem (i.e. leave the stam gems in my health chest). I'm also kind of hurting for hit again, if you can believe it.
o/\o

Gil

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
I'm also kind of hurting for hit again, if you can believe it.

I have over 400 hit rating, want some? I cannot get rid of the damn stat, it's EVERYWHERE.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »
I'm also kind of hurting for hit again, if you can believe it.

I have over 400 hit rating, want some? I cannot get rid of the damn stat, it's EVERYWHERE.

this is why I'm so surprised. I'm at 188, though I can swap a ring if I need to. most of my old hit was from T9 pants, which I replaced with [wow]Pillars of Might[/wow].
o/\o

Yharon

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »
So, how bout that 4 piece T10 bonus?

It's somewhat lackluster when compared to the cooldowns the other tanking classes were given with theirs; while none of them are amazingly powerful, you can pair them up with another minor cooldown to give pretty solid on-demand DR while ours behaves differently.  It's not terrible, but it doesn't fulfill the same function as the others, which I think is where the complaints come from.

That said, it's not the end of the world.  My goal is to have chest/gloves as my 277 two piece and potentially pick up the shoulders/helm at a later date when the tokens are less in demand, allowing me a lot of flexibility with things like hit and especially expertise that are going to be issues down the road.

I'm thinking maybe I should gem for more def, then worry about more HP if it becomes a problem (i.e. leave the stam gems in my health chest). I'm also kind of hurting for hit again, if you can believe it.

I'm getting my hit almost exclusively from [wow]Broken Ram Skull Helm[/wow] and [wow]Legguards of Lost Hope[/wow], both of which aren't ideal items.  I'm stuck with them until the [wow]Noose of Malachite[/wow] and either [wow]51913[/wow] or the [wow]50447[/wow] drop again.
smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »
Oh god, don't remind me about Expertise. now that they swapped ShoR to the melee hit table, I need that shit again. I guess I'm hoping for the [wow]Grinning Skull Greatboots[/wow] or that one ring with expertise...of course that limits my hit options.

There are definitely times (like Festergut) where I'm wishing for another CD, so maybe 4pt10 will alleviate that. Once I can upgrade the chest and gloves to 264 it won't be so bad.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »
Something I didn't realize until last night: activating Divine Plea triggers a GCD, so the 4pt10 is a new CD, but one we have to replace a threat ability to use. If it's possible to choose, I'd say replace Judgement, since the debuff is 20s long. However, the idea of using a big avoidance CD up to 6 seconds after it's needed is scary. I'd say use it to replace anything buy Holy Shield, then.
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:28 AM »
I need to learn the basics of both prot and holy.  My extent of my knowledge is:

* read maintankadin for prot stuff; I'm hoping there are "so you're an idiot and wish to not be one" basic primers there.
* map all keys to FoL, remember to use Beacon, get a drinkybird.

If there's a website I should read for holy, please let me know.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
hahaha, holy.

Maintankadin is good for prot. it used to be hit-or-miss, since there were an equal number of idiots and geniuses posting, but it's become pretty well moderated since the EJ prot article fell out of being up-to-date.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=4&rb_v=viewforum

That's the basic training forum. Start there.

The basic stuff you need to know is:

- Don't bother trying to figure out DR on avoidance yourself. use RatingBuster.
- Hit def minimum any way you can. This is 535 for heroics, 540 for raids, and 531 and 536 respectively with the 15 resilience from [wow]Greater Inscription of the Gladiator[/wow] (though you'll be wanting the def/dodge one if you're scrabbling for def)
- ITALICS BOLD THIS IS A MINIMUM[/b]. holy shit, I get into this fight like every week on /trade. It is not a cap at all. Defense rating is the best rating point-for-point to get avoidance from since it diminishes dodge/miss/parry evenly, so if you have extra def, it's still pretty good! Don't gem for it unless you really really want to match a yellow slot.
- When you gem, if your gem doesn't have stamina in it, you better have a good reason! (I'd say "you're doing it wrong," but that's trite and whatevs, play your game the way you want to)
- Hit and Expertise are important, but hard to cap without jumping through hoops at some points. Try to pick some up if you can.
- Two best glyphs are SoV (if you have less than 26 expertise from gear) and Divine Plea, third one is debated but there's no clear winner.

err, looks like someone posted an Enhancement shaman thread! I've got to post in that!
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, I knew about 535 def for heroics from playing Reonna.  Also, you're insane for getting into arguments on /trade, but hey, go you for fighting the good fight.  :)

Oh right, I'm only planning on tanking and healing heroics, which I realize ISB.  Although really, when you're half in greens, they -are- still serious business.  (Tuzi has yet to hit 535 due to having too much crappy green gear, and is still sub-20k hp.  :)  )
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
oh crap, I'm such an ass for forgetting about Reonna.
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »
oh crap, I'm such an ass for forgetting about Reonna.

It's well known that Enh threads can turn some people's minds to mush.  For others, it's gettin 100 chocolates for Polymorph: Bunny (finally go that this morning).  :)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
* map all keys to FoL, remember to use Beacon, get a drinkybird.

Fjale. Its map all keys to HL and get a drinkybird.

As for websites, I just troll the Holy thread in the Paladin forum on EJ. Which is mostly useless, since they're all like 'which 277 pieces are the best for me', and I'm like shut it.

If you have any specific questions after climbing out of that cesspool (or want the Yaypert 30 second tour of Holydins[1]), then feel free to pester me. Or start a new thread so that I can make an ass out of myself in front of everyone, instead of just in front of you.

[1] Hint: Everytime you heal a rogue, god kills a bunneh. Dont do it.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
o/\o

Andy

• Infraction Champions Member
  • Tanking mandatory, spanking optional.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
[1] Hint: Everytime you heal a rogue, god kills a bunneh. Dont do it.

That's been true since Molten Core. I remember some stupid rogue whispering me "Why didn't you heal me?" after they died for doing something stupid. Since I was on main tank healing duty and that person wasn't taking much damage, I responded "because I don't heal rogues". Less than a minute later, my class lead in the healer channel wrote "Why is this stupid rogue messaging me for something you said, [Andy]?"

And there was much discussion afterward about healing rogues and not doing it.