Author Topic: 4.2.x stuff  (Read 23044 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: 4.2.x stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »
4.2 will break all of the same addons as 4.1, for similar reasons (COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED argument list change).  Kind of a bummer that Lua doesn't have keyword arguments, and that WoW doesn't use structures (such as the are in Lua) for event arguments.  http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/175288/42-combat_log_event_unfiltered-changed-again

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/175265/holy-paladin-healing-on-42-after-nerfs says holy paladin mana costs aren't to offset 100% crits, but because holy paladins were too efficient compared to other healers.  It's true that in both of my raids, holy paladin mana bars tend to be a bit higher than those of other healers at any given point on the harder fights; no real opinion beyond that.

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
Shaman and warlock T12 set previews over on mmo-champion. Here's my official fashion report for this upcoming tier:

DKs are solid, kind of reminds me of the dragoons from Final Fantasy Tactics.  Priests are bland; I feel like the last nice-looking priest set was T6.  Rogue is okay but get the distinct impression that Blizzard doesn't really know what to do with rogue armor. Hunters pretty cool.  It's getting a lot of flak but I think it's a step forward fashion-wise.  I dig the concept of hunters wearing the heads of their enemies as helmets, which seems to be new trend.  Mages, not bad.  I don't like it as much as I liked T8 (I'm in the minority on that set I realize); I leave my final determination up to seeing how much the shoulder and hat glows.  Paladin is a little odd, I almost feel like it should swap with the DKs.  Warlocks and shamans, I don't even--what is going on there? Are the shamans supposed to be volcanoes or something? Druids are pretty cool looking: I dig the sleeveless look.  Warriors I think win this tier. They definitely look like tanks, and magma giant shoulder pads are a sweet touch.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
Shaman and warlock T12 set previews over on mmo-champion. Here's my official fashion report for this upcoming tier:

DKs are solid, kind of reminds me of the dragoons from Final Fantasy Tactics.  Priests are bland; I feel like the last nice-looking priest set was T6.  Rogue is okay but get the distinct impression that Blizzard doesn't really know what to do with rogue armor. Hunters pretty cool.  It's getting a lot of flak but I think it's a step forward fashion-wise.  I dig the concept of hunters wearing the heads of their enemies as helmets, which seems to be new trend.  Mages, not bad.  I don't like it as much as I liked T8 (I'm in the minority on that set I realize); I leave my final determination up to seeing how much the shoulder and hat glows.  Paladin is a little odd, I almost feel like it should swap with the DKs.  Warlocks and shamans, I don't even--what is going on there? Are the shamans supposed to be volcanoes or something? Druids are pretty cool looking: I dig the sleeveless look.  Warriors I think win this tier. They definitely look like tanks, and magma giant shoulder pads are a sweet touch.

Priest T6 is my favorite set in the game so far.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
Not necessarily 4.2, but from the latest Ask the Devs answers, Chaos Orbs will be unbound in a future patch.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/175764/ask-the-devs-7-professions-answers

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
Protection
Holy Shield now increases block chance by 5% while active, instead of increasing the amount of damage blocked by 10%.

Why don't they just give us free rerolls into Warrior? This also means we'll hit 102.4% even faster in T12.
o/\o

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
Inscriptionists rejoice!

Will you provide a way to speed up the acquiring of glyphs usually acquired through research and glyph books? Glyph books (Book of Glyph Mastery) are hard to come by now that people spend so little time in WotLK content. - Furlqt (NA/ANZ), 에르네스트린덴만 (KR), Kn (EU-ES)

Yes. We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.

Ed: Yeah. I noticed that - was... confused as to the rationale.

Hotspur

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Protection
Holy Shield now increases block chance by 5% while active, instead of increasing the amount of damage blocked by 10%.

Why don't they just give us free rerolls into Warrior? This also means we'll hit 102.4% even faster in T12.

Warrior class best class.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
Protection

Warrior class best class.

You mean Palorrior. At character creation, you choose Pink or Brown for your Grid icon, but all other decisions are irrelevant.
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
Do people play tanks because of the difference in how they mitigate damage?  I'm only doing heroics (heh, only occassionally doing heroics, I should probably say), and I don't much care about the mitigation stuff.  I care much more than Reonna owns the battlefield from a movement standpoint, whereas Tuzi can AOE tank while asleep.

To be fair, I haven't pally tanked since 4.1, so I don't know if self-WoGging does anything or not, but that was also a noticeable difference.  I never did lookup how much dps Reonna was contributing via sunders, since I often tank for a retadin and a hunter.

I care much more about whether I can get that add to do what I want it to do (sit down from shockwave, or come over here from AS, etc) then the particulars of why I'm still alive.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
I certainly like significant differences in how damage is mitigated between the classes. I like that Warriors' blocking is spikier, while a Paladin's is smoother.

Additionally, keeping Holy Shield up close to 100% of the time is what separates a good paladin tank from a mediocre one. That's no longer as much of a concern.
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Expect more developments in the tank department before the patch goes live.  The goal is actually to prevent mastery capping, although the holy shield change seems to go against that, so everyone is confused.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/175861/holy-shield-in-42-help-me-understand

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
I'm glad Randy's avatar is a pygmy. They're hilarious.

I really hope the solution isn't "less block per mastery." Though I honestly don't see how this is even an incremental change given that people in 372s can cap mastery as paladins.
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
(Again, not a 4.2 feature per se, but I don't feel like making a new thread.)  Blizzard is going to add the ability to invite Real ID friends from different servers into a group which you can then queue for a dungeon with... if the person doing the inviting has paid extra.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/176063/cross-realm-dungeon-feature-coming-soon

For me this feels like it's sliding down the slope of what's appropriate as a premium service in a subscription game.  I get that it takes real money to develop new features like this, but subscription fees are real money too.  So what qualifies a new game feature as a premium service?  Is the monthly fee simply too low after this many years of inflation?  Anyway, it's their game and I can certainly do without the new feature, so no big deal.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
I feel like this is a pretty big step in the realm of their 'premium' services.  Thus far it's all been cosmetic things that has no bearing on the game.  This is the first one that does.  I can see some outcry over this one and a ton of "FUCKING BOBBY KOTICK AND ACTIVSION CORPORATE BULLSHIT TAINTING BLIZZARD"  (It's not this at all)

I'd be curious on the devside to see this decision get made since they are just as aware of the community pulse as anyone. :)

Either way I'm with Marco.  There's nobody on my realID friend list I'd really wanna invite, I'm not ponying up for this.

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
I have tons of friends on other servers that I would love to group with to run things, however! EVERY FUCKING PERSON I KNOW OUTSIDE OF ER PLAYS HORDE!!!!