Author Topic: DK farming spec?  (Read 1644 times)

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
DK farming spec?
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
So, I've decided I need a farming alt (miner/herbalist) and the fastest way to get one is to start with a DK.  Any suggestions on a spec to use?  From what I've seen the recommended spec is a tanking spec, but anyone have any practical suggestions on changes from the default?  This alt will never be used for actual adventuring, so all those considerations are out the window.

-Andraax

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: DK farming spec?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:48 AM »
You can level blood just like you an level a warrior prot, but actually the most common recommendation I've seen is 2H frost.  The reasons are that you play it in unholy presence, so you get to mash buttons every 1s instead of 1.5s (leading to faster killing on short-lived mobs), and you get On A Pale Horse for faster movement between quest areas.

Yohn

• The Dwarfiest
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:49 AM »
In leveling a DK I've found 2h Frost to be awesome, and it's the most highly recommended leveling spec.

A blood off spec is great for taking out elite mobs and group quests.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-- H. L. Mencken

Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

AdmiralShardy

• Ahoy!
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
I'd make an argument for unholy these days.  The ghoul is really useful for keeping mobs busy while you mine/gather, plus if you get bored, you can amuse yourself with ghoul names.
Admiral Shardrell, Retired Nelfy Pirate
Julia Cappo, Active Guild Wars 2 Pirate.  I like pirates.
Twitter: @BeckyCFreelance

Yohn

• The Dwarfiest
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:59:51 AM »
For actual farming, a pet is very useful. My mining/herbing mule is a hunter partially because of that.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-- H. L. Mencken

Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
DK pets are kind of annoying to use for mining distractions because they take five seconds to get out of the ground.  You can also still summon one in other specs on a cooldown.  DG and Chains of Ice might be a faster way to mine or herb a node without killing a mob first, although I haven't tried that myself.

That said, On a Pale Horse is available (at 85) to any specialization, so you could probably use any tree for farming.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »
Do DKs get a stun?  I find having both a single-mob and cone stuns are key for Reonna -- she can dismount on top of the crocodile, stun it, and pick the flower.

Or in TB, ride with impunity to a bunch of mobs, pause, Shockwave the lot, pick the herb, and then go through the tedious task of wasting everything.

Tuzi does the same thing mining, except she only has a single-target stun.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Well, I'm trying out Unholy for the moment (I'm at 63) and having a pet does seem to help; I may have to experiment when I get to 85 to see what is better then.  Thanks for the advice!

-Andraax