Author Topic: Tol Barad Reward Changes  (Read 4053 times)

Adhisla

• Cupcakes Member
Tol Barad Reward Changes
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:21:08 AM »
From the blue posts via mmo-champion.com:
Winning as an attacker now rewards players with 1800 Honor Points, up from 180. Winning as a defender still rewards players with 180 Honor Points.

I'm guessing this is intended to attract more players to the "attacking" phases of the fight. With a lot of folks feeling like attacking is pointless, I hope the increased reward brings them back to the game.

1800 honor is like half the cap!

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Tol Barad Reward Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
Considering that this means you now need to Defend 10 times in order to equal 1 successful attack, look for this to be abused via win-trading and subsiquently nerfed.

And in all honesty...1800 is overkill. Hopefully it won't be nerfed before I can get my Warrior in there though!
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
If you've ever tried attacking you'd realize it isn't overkill. Horde had Tol'barad since Tuesday and lost it just last night. Goes to show how ridiculously stacked tol'barad is for the defense.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »
Haha! Keyword is "TRY". I've been in a few matches where we would be seconds from winning...just seconds. And those opportunities always seem to be 1 per match. Other than that, yeah I hit every TB I can for the 75 losing Honor and 18/Tower Bonus Honor (not to mention a crapton of HK's).

But I still believe it is overkill...simply because it promotes wintrading. I mean that's almost 1/2 of your max honor in 1 game (probably 2min matches if properly win trading) I would much rather see a situation where attackers have the advantage to promote swapping.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »
I don't think this is intended to "fix" Tol Barad (make it flip back and forth more often).  I think it's just intended to properly reward a successful attacking team, until TB is improved in a patch.  Encouraging more people to participate in offense won't increase the odds of winning, although I suppose it will encourage people who do participate not to just give up and farm HKs.

I think win-trading is a serious risk, and I don't think it's what Blizzard wants.  Where it happens, it means that people participating in TB during this narrow window, on those servers, will accumulate honor much faster than intended.

Edit: predictably, see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1670091834 from the official Earthen Ring forums.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:02:04 AM by Marco »

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:25:09 AM »
I wonder how closely Blizz tracks participation numbers.  Namely, are there a lot of 85s who have never tried Tol Barad?

If there are (say) 50% 85s who have never tried Tol Barad, as opposed to 20% 80s who had never tried Wintergrasp by this time into WotLK, then this could be a way to just get people to at least try the zone, rather than relying on their friends saying "lol it's sux".

If there's a TB patch planned in the next two weeks, I doubt Blizzard cares about win-trading during that time.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
It is pretty clear PvP content is already moving WAY faster than PvE content. Its why they had to nerf everyone's Arena rating (along with a bug allegedly) that was too high. Right now PvPers can get amazing sets relatively quickly and with a much lighter time sink than PvE'rs.

But, in all honesty, that is a good thing. I really disliked gear disparities and advantages some people had. I would rather lose to the player/comp than the gear.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Edit: predictably, see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1670091834 from the official Earthen Ring forums.

404. I'm assuming it was a win-trading proposition and was moderated into oblivion.

I stand by my assertion that too many people PVP to be dicks rather than for rewards, and that prevents win-trading from working effectively, unless there exists same-faction social punishment on a wide scale (and even then, some people like being pariahs--and most of them are also dicks).
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
Well, the Alliance took back Tol Barad in the battle starting at 12:45am today.  While it didn't look like the Horde was sitting around for win trading, its a bit hard to tell from the opposite side.  We just barely won, holding off a last second rush.

The 10x reward seems at least to have motivated more Alliance to come fight and that seems to make some difference.  Getting enough honor for a PVP item in one battle makes it worth the time.

-Andraax

Adhisla

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 04:59:50 AM »
a win-trading proposition

Some alliance seem to believe that Alliance and Horde are win trading at the moment. I'm frustrated by this

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »
I think there is definitely win trading going on. In the match I was in yesterday that we won, I noticed that all the familiar old-school PvP names spent all their times at the spires killing Siege vehicles and anyone who brought them in.

That being said, when I got 1800+ Honor from that win I seriously felt like I had done something wrong. That is a crapton of honor!!!

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »
Some alliance seem to believe that Alliance and Horde are win trading at the moment. I'm frustrated by this

There is definitely some win trading going on.  So far today it keeps alternating back and forth.  Its been great for gearing up (3 pieces of pvp gear bought from 2 victories), but it does feel a little cheap.  Mostly because it means you can spend 10 hours in BGs farming honor for one piece of gear.  Or you can go to a single TB that we are attacking and winning on.

Win trading isn't people standing around -- but people are pointedly using really bad tactics.  There ends up being a lot of fighting with the horde just outside of gates, after they get the towers down, so that both sides are having fun while the capping is going on. 

So while I'm glad they gave us a much less grindy way to gear up for pvp, I wish this wasn't it.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »

There is definitely some win trading going on.  So far today it keeps alternating back and forth.  Its been great for gearing up (3 pieces of pvp gear bought from 2 victories), but it does feel a little cheap.  Mostly because it means you can spend 10 hours in BGs farming honor for one piece of gear.  Or you can go to a single TB that we are attacking and winning on.

Win trading isn't people standing around -- but people are pointedly using really bad tactics.  There ends up being a lot of fighting with the horde just outside of gates, after they get the towers down, so that both sides are having fun while the capping is going on. 

So while I'm glad they gave us a much less grindy way to gear up for pvp, I wish this wasn't it.

So we fight on the road :o
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Reading that a win has been hotfixed to 360 Honor on European servers. Not sure about NA servers.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
The party is not quite over, but the cops have been called.

EDIT: ok, the cops are here, it's over (360 on NA servers).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:36:41 PM by Gwyddyon »
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester