Author Topic: Archaeology: The Basics  (Read 4936 times)

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Archaeology: The Basics
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
Nice summary.

Unreliable Red Survey Scopes

When you plop down a Survey scope, sometimes they show red. Ideally the scope should point you in the direction, however, they do not (except by dumb luck). Don't trust Red Survey scopes! If you get a Red, move towards a more central location and try again until you get a Yellow.

However, I find the red scopes very useful.

I assume that I treat the red scope such that the object is in an area in front of a line perpendicular to the arrow. See picture below. The fragment could be anywhere in that space so I look at the dig map (I use mapster so the map is open in a corner of my screen while digging). On the map below I would fly over to the word "this" on the map and dig again. (Note, some people talk about using Gathermate, but I find that all my digs are never at spots shown on Gathermate). Always look at map and go to reasonable spot.Most of time dig spots are in soil (although this is not true on some nelf sites).

So I assume red scope have 180 degree arc, yellow 90 degree arc, and green narrow arc. It works for me :).
WoW: Glognar - 110 Hunter

Lyonya

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
I'm wondering what the odds are of them adding new artifacts.  It is very easy to complete the set for common races like NE or fossil, while still waiting for those stubborn Tol'vir sites to pop.
Lyonya of the Wild Hunt, grand master alchemist and tree

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
From the most recent patch note update:
The sell value of all common artifacts has been doubled, while a small subset of common artifacts have had their sell value increased far beyond that.
So, uh, bank artifacts until the patch, I guess.  Many of the sell prices are so low that doubling them wouldn't be noticeable, but those could be the ones increased "far beyond that."

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:48:20 PM »
So you get lots of Xp, a pet, a mount and some other epic items and now you get some nice cash. They really want you to level archaeology. Only thing missing is it does not give guild Xp :P
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:42 AM »
After doing some Archaeology i think leveling to around 80+ then solving them would be better than trying to get to 100. Mostly due to the higher skill giving you more fragment per dig vs time skilling on digging. I found that I gain nearly every time to around 80, after which it was very slow.

This all changes with the next patch :(
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
Mostly due to the higher skill giving you more fragment per dig vs time
Do you actually get more fragments per dig at higher skill?  I asked about this in channel a while back and people said it was 3-6 per dig all the way up.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 12:13:40 PM »
Mostly due to the higher skill giving you more fragment per dig vs time
Do you actually get more fragments per dig at higher skill?  I asked about this in channel a while back and people said it was 3-6 per dig all the way up.

I seemed to get more in the upper range as I leveled up but the sample size was not large so it could just be down to luck.

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »
Yeah, I never got 6 fragments in one dig until my skill was >300.

-Andraax

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
mmo-champion has a list of updated vendor prices for archaeology common artifacts:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2159-Archaeology-4.0.6-Item-Changes-Sinestra-Video-MMO-Report-Comics

nurgh

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
I'm guessing the answer is "no", but does anyone have suggestions for encouraging certain dig sites to come up?  Specifically, Uldum.

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
Many, many people would like a way to get Uldum sites to come up, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

-Andraax