Author Topic: Archaeology: The Basics  (Read 4836 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Archaeology: The Basics
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:08:35 AM »
Archaeology
I wasn't too excited for this when I first heard about it, but after giving it a whirl I became instantly addicted...in a bad way. So since others might benefit from a consolidation of information, I'll make a neat little post to hopefully help clear things up about this profession.

The Basics

Once you train Archeaology you will see 4 Shovels on each continent. These are personal dig sites that no one else can "steal". Each dig site allows for 3 surveys before disappearing. Once it has disappeared, another random digsite will spawn. The digsite will not despawn if you are interrupted during your surveying process (I.E. if you do 2 Surveys on a site and go to an instance, when you leave the instance that digsite will remain with its final Survey still available). If you have digsites where you don't want to go there is nothing you can do about it.

Efficient Leveling

You will gain 1 point of Archaeology per Survey up until 100. The closer you reach to 100, the less of a chance to get that 1 point. However, there is no cap on Fragments so it benefits you to stockpile all Fragments until you reach 100 Archaeology. Completing projects will award you 5 points of Archaeology. There is no point where any project "goes grey". You can still complete basic Fossil projects at high level for 5 skill points.

Rare Projects

With each race there are certain Rare projects that become available after you reach a certain Archaeology skill rating. The chance to get these projects is random and vary with each project. If you are looking for a specific item to complete, you must continue completing projects of that race until the desired one pops up. Rare projects can only be completed once and generally take over 100 Fragments to complete.

Fragments

As your skill with Archaeology improves, the amount of Fragments you can receive per Survey increases. Initially you only receive 2 fragments, which makes for a daunting task. However, with an Archaeology rating of 425 I am currenty receiving 3-6 fragments per survey, which really speeds things along.

Uncommon "Green" Components

While surveying, you might receive certain uncommon items such as Highborn Scrolls or Troll Tablets. These can be used with certain projects to boost the number of fragments by 12. To use these items you simply open up the Archaeology project and drop them into the Hexagon slot under the Progress bar. Any unused bonus fragments will be applied to the next project. For instance, if you are 32/34 with a Troll project and insert a Troll Tablet, then the next project will be 10/X completed.

Unreliable Red Survey Scopes

When you plop down a Survey scope, sometimes they show red. Ideally the scope should point you in the direction, however, they do not (except by dumb luck). Don't trust Red Survey scopes! If you get a Red, move towards a more central location and try again until you get a Yellow.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:51:55 AM by Vylin »
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gerrik

Re: Archaeology: The Basics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:18 AM »
As an added bonus you gain experience when gathering fragments. At about 11k with each survey I'm almost level 81 on my rogue just from levelling this profession to 100.

Olli

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
Archaeology XP interacts with rested XP, too.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »
As an added bonus you gain experience when gathering fragments. At about 11k with each survey I'm almost level 81 on my rogue just from levelling this profession to 100.

Good point. I've gained 2.5 levels or so from Archaeology alone. At 84 rested surveys were giving 28k xp. Its not a bad way to level.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
I went up to the Infectis Scar (EPL) one day last week and the surveyor kept telling me that the object was outside of the zone (literally; I was standing on the edge of the zone by twitching on walk mode and when I surveyed, it pointed it outside the zone). When I returned a few days later, the first object picked up by the surveyor was in a different location (and was diggable). I don't know if that means that they fixed that 1 dig, or if logging out/in interacts with where the actual surveys are within a given digsite.

Also note that within the limits of my experience (150ish), the surveying tool does not necessarily point exactly towards the object; the object can usually be found with a 30 degree angle of the straight line, though.

Some digsites are more irritating than others to navigate. The dwarven digsite in Hillsbrad is relatively small and easy to harvest out; conversely, the fossil field in that same zone straddles the river and is ridiculously large, and so you spend a lot more time triangulating.

Nearly all the digsites I've been to provided 2 (and now 3) fragments. However, when I went to Tanaris and dug out a troll site there, all 3 gave me x5 fragments, which leads me to wonder if digsites themselves have an effect on the number of fragments generated.

Rare objects I'm aware of include a fossil raptor pet and a fossil raptor mount. Finding a rare object (any rare object) provides the title 'Assistant Professor' via an associated achievement.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
Finding a rare object (any rare object) provides the title 'Assistant Professor' via an associated achievement.

That's awesome.  Of course, you'll never get the title Associate Professor without also being an Inscriptionist and making a hell of a lot of publications.

(Yes, I'm aware the game actually lets you have the other two titles.  If you're lucky.  It's a long-time bitter academic family thing.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:42:34 AM by Fallowgrey »
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc:  Kikiaru, L37 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior / Rinkitink, L40 Belf Hunter

Amlodhi

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »
This is enormously helpful. I had no idea what Archeology even was, besides just this thing that was sitting dormant on my Professions tab.

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »
A number of the new dungeons offer 'daily' quests that give you a minor buff (only active in the dungeon) if you turn in an archaeology item to an object marked by a blue daily ! (visible only with archaeology > 450), generally 1-2 trash pulls into the dungeon. I'm not sure if it only offers this buff for the day, but I suspect that it does. These are almost certainly not worth it to do, but are included here for the purposes of trivia.

Grim Batol: 5% crit
Blackrock Caverns: +5% elemental damage
Halls of Origination: ?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Deren

• Bacon Bandits Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
I went up to the Infectis Scar (EPL) one day last week and the surveyor kept telling me that the object was outside of the zone (literally; I was standing on the edge of the zone by twitching on walk mode and when I surveyed, it pointed it outside the zone). When I returned a few days later, the first object picked up by the surveyor was in a different location (and was diggable). I don't know if that means that they fixed that 1 dig, or if logging out/in interacts with where the actual surveys are within a given digsite.
I saw this same problem over sasu, they said if you goto another dig site it reset the RNG of the other digsites, so you can go back and get a new location.  Logging out, or even just zoneing could do the same thing.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
The current PTR patch notes for 4.0.6 say:
Archaeology fragments now have a hard cap of 200 per race. Players will not be able to collect additional fragments until they complete artifacts to take them down below 200 fragments. Players with more than 200 fragments will not lose additional fragments in 4.0.6, but in a future patch we may remove any fragments above 200.
Based on my experience getting to 100, this cap may come into play before you hit 100 by digging alone (if you do it after the patch), but probably not if you just dig to 95.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
I was at 204 nelf fragments at about 80 arch, before I got bored and chain solved everything. Granted, I was staying in Kalmindor, and seemed to get nothing but nelf sites.

Deren

• Bacon Bandits Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
Based on my experience getting to 100, this cap may come into play before you hit 100 by digging alone (if you do it after the patch), but probably not if you just dig to 95.
I betting this the not the real reason. May Guides tell you to not solve the faction you want the epic item for 450. Because you cant start a epic item before them.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
From the 4.0.6 patch notes:
Archaeology finds now grant a guaranteed skill point up to 50 skill, and then no longer grant skill gains, as opposed to granting up to 100 skill very slowly.
So you'll have to do ten more solves if you start skilling after 4.0.6.  (However, datamined changes suggest the survey cooldown is being cut from 5s to 3s, which will recover some of the lost time.)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »
From the 4.0.6 patch notes:
Archaeology finds now grant a guaranteed skill point up to 50 skill, and then no longer grant skill gains, as opposed to granting up to 100 skill very slowly.
So you'll have to do ten more solves if you start skilling after 4.0.6.  (However, datamined changes suggest the survey cooldown is being cut from 5s to 3s, which will recover some of the lost time.)

So skill to 100 now before the change...
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)